Swapping 8 3/4 centers, questions

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
I couldnt edit my original post

So i took the Duster 8 3/4 out, it looks like its in pretty good shape, no play in anything. Its a 2:76 Sure Grip.

Before is swap it to the Bee, i was thinking if it would really be worth swapping it if the Bee has a 2:93, or 3:23. Sure i would loaf along on the freeway, but wouldnt it be gutless of the line? The car is not raced.

Maybe you racers can help figure out the ratio, i may just do the seals and bearing depending on what you guys think. The tires on the car are 28x10x15's

I marked the tire at the bead, and marked the drive shaft yoke, and rolled the car on the ground. the tire went around once, and the drive shaft went around 4 times. Anyone know what that would make the rear end?

diff.jpg

diff1.jpg

diff2.jpg

diff3.jpg

diff4.jpg

diff5.jpg

diff6.jpg

The higher the rear ratio (numerically) the faster off the line you'll be and a slower top end speed.
The lower the rear ratio (numerically) the slower off the line you'll be and a higher top end speed.
This applies to any rear end/center section
Gotta ask, what's your center section 741,742,489?

the Duster has the 742, the Bee has a 741, guess i will find out tomorrow what ratio it is

the Duster has the 742, the Bee has a 741, guess i will find out tomorrow what ratio it is

One other thing youll need to look at is the if the yokes are the same size.

if tire went around once to 4 turns of drive shaft it would have to be 3.91 or 4.11s
(I forget Mopar gearing ratios) I have 3.23s so my driveshaft goes around a little more
than 3 turns for 1 tire.(I put it up on jacks once just to check)

A 28" tire and a 2.7x gear is going to be pretty lazy off the line. What motor?

if tire went around once to 4 turns of drive shaft it would have to be 3.91 or 4.11s
(I forget Mopar gearing ratios) I have 3.23s so my driveshaft goes around a little more
than 3 turns for 1 tire.(I put it up on jacks once just to check)

Unless someone change the gears already, this is a clone bee, started life as a coronet 440 with a 318, probably came with a 2:76, 2:93 or a 3:23, I will take the other center section out tomorrow

-
Back