Swapping a sure grip?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I need to start putting together a new rear end for my dart. The stock 2.76 geared 7 1/4 is holding up but I don't know for how much longer behind my new 360, and the gears are killing it off the line.

I have an 8 3/4 housing and two 3rd members. Both are open differentials, they both need to be gone through and cleaned up before I could use them. I was wondering If I could swap in a sure grip into the case, as well as better gears. The 3rd members are 2.76 and 3.23 gears, I will go outside to see what cases I have. Or do I have to actually have a sure grip case?

You can just add a suregrip unit. You already have the 3.23's, you could use those. Depends on what you want out of the car, those are a good cruising/street gear.

Just keep in mind before tearing into it, there are a few steps to take before doing so.

Just swap in a sure-grip. All the cases are the same (sure-grip or not). Just make sure you get gears (and corresponding parts) for whatever case you've got.

Exactly what I want to hear! and yea I wont tear into them quite yet.

Its a funny story about the 3rd members though. In the 60s my grandpa bought a 66 fury, it had an 83/4 in it, but the rear went out, so he went to a junk yard and got a new 3rd member (the 3.23) and it was originally a 2.76 car. So the speedometer was off, he took those gears out and found another 2.76 set. So he got a spare 2.76 and the 3.23 and put them in the barn, they have been up there since the early 70s. I was talking to him a while ago and he said that he had some. All full of hay but they were pretty clean and turn nicely. Amazing what you can find in old barns! LOL

-
Back