swapping axles?

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
so i have a /6 dart sbp with a 7.25 rear. i am gonna swap in a 360 with an 8.75 rear. the problem is that the 8.75 rear is LBP. can i use the sbp axles out of my original 7.25 or do i have to go find sbp axles to swap in? also, where can i find 3.23 posi center without unloading my lifes savings?

thanks

You will have to find SBP axles to fit the 8.75" rear, the 7.25" axles will not fit.

IF your 8.75" rear has LBP axles, what car is it from? All A-body 8.75" rears came with SBP axles from factory. Does your axle have aftermarket axles? or is it a B-body rear? (like I put in my car)

Bob

So lemme get this straight... You have an 8 3/4 that has been converted to LBP axles and you want to swap to SBP? I have a set of original SBP shafts that I'll swap straight across for LBP shafts depending what they are. Post a pic of the shafts you have, I'm sure one of us can help you out.

Don't forget that if you swap back to small bolt circle you will need to deal with the brakes too. All sbp 8.75's used a narrow 1.75" brake. People that convert to large bolt circle also change the axle offset to accept a 2.5" wide brake and the readily available brake parts (avoids needing to redrill drums to fit).

If you really want to stay with sbp you would be better off to find someone with an axle you could trade with. Should be a problem since most folks want to go to lbp.

I'll post a pic asap. I swear they are lbp and it is wide enough to fit my 70 dart. Not sure what it came out of. Package deal got me a 76 corodoba 360v8, 904 tranny, two 8.75 rears and a driveshaft. I sold one rear to someone on this forum a while back cuz it was too wide

photo.jpg

thats what i got. axles are still in the housing so i dont really know the condition of the rest. its been sitting on the side of my house since march or so, so much of this rust is due to rain

.........Thats a 1964 dowN rear, u wont get axles 2 fit that unless there custom made....NOT 2 MENTION THE HASSLE WITH BRAKES.....find a A BODY REAR.........KIM..........

well the guy who came and bought the other rear (i had two) measured this one out an looked it over and said that rear will work in my dart, i just gotta knock off the nut at the end an swap in sbp axles. although i abviously want the whole rear restored

Hmm! A-body rears measures 52 5/8's from flange to flange I have never seen an A-body rear with bolt on hubs before though,pull the axle and see what it measures, an A-body axle is 27 3/8's if my memory is correct.

Idont know if you can get sbp axles for that rear. You may need to cut off the ends and change to later axle tube ends. find an a body rear.

This axle would way to much trouble to use. You need a special puller just to get the hub off. The ends of the axle is tapered and the hub goes on with a keyway. Any time you need to do brake work the drums and hub must come off. Also it takes a different wheel bearing than a 65 and up 8.75 so late model axles will not fit. It may may be the right width but the spring seats will have to be moved in to fit the A body. You also have to set the axle end play with shims instead of the adjuster everyone is used to. Just my .02.

-
Back