SWAY bar from 67-72

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Ok here is the story. I have a 66 valiant convertible with stock 273. Not long ago I happened to notice a sway bar tab on the passenger side when I put new wheels on it. I was scratching my head because I didn't think they came out with sway bars until 67. I guess my lower control arm must have been replaced at one time.

So I figured that I could find a lower control arm from a 67-72 a-body and then I could have a factory sway bar. I found one at a swap meet and the guy said it should work fine on my car and all I would have to do is drill some holes into the K-frame for the mounting brackets. I just found out tonight that nothing matched up at all. I have no idea where these brackets would go. Any of you guys have a 67-72 sway bar in your 63-66 a-body? Also, it seems like the sway bar is a little wide. Do I need aftermarket mounting brackets? Or will this even work?

Thanks

The front of the early A bodies is not as wide as the 67-72 so the bar will not fit but the did have swaybars on the 66 formula S barracudas so if you can find the bar will work. The other option is to have one made. Check Firm Feel to see if the make one for your application (www.firmfeel.com). I know this because I have a friend with multiple 64-66 barracudas and has one with a swaybar.

Okay I should have know the early a bodies are more narrow (duh)..hince the problems with headers also. Thought since the lower control arms are the same that maybe it would have worked. I'll check that website. If any of you other guys have any comments that would be great. Especially if you have a sway bar installed on one the early a-bodies.

the firm-feel units look nice but I didn't see one for my specific application. I will have to call these guys. thanks

It is the first picture of bars in the A body section. Nice looking Valiant, my next project will be a 64-65 2 door sedan.

Thanks for the compliment. It's getting there. I called Firmfeel today and they were great to talk to. Very good phone sevice. They have them for $240 plus $25 shipping. Kinda spendy though. You are right the first picture is the correct bar except for the little tab that goes through the shock mount holes. These are for lower control arms without the factory tabs. They said this would work perfect for my car which is great. They 7/16 inch bolt is said to be sturdy enough on that little tab. Only problem is the guy that bends the bars is a little slow sometimes and they are currently out of stock. Might be a few weeks or a couple months.

I looked into PST and ADDCO sway bars and they are a little cheaper actually. They are the same diameter too and the mounting appears to be similiar. We'll see if anyone else posts on this thread and if they like the ADDCO or PST units.

valve-2.jpg

oops wrong pic too big. anyway the 64-65 models seem to have more parts than the 66 year for some reason I guess because the 66 model was really different especially as far as the body panels. These little abodies are nice because they are somewhat more affordable to restore. Good luck on the next project. Happy to have a site like this to bounce questions and ideas. Nice cuda. I always loved the 67-69 cudas. Especially the grills.

Check ADDCO & Hellwig as possible sources for bars as well...my buddy's wife has a '66 Dart GT w/ a front bar that appears to attach by/through the lower shock mount area(took a quick peek, no mental notes!).

-
Back