Sway Bar Tab

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a set of 72 lower control arms here at home. One side has a factory tab the other did not. I decided to bring them into work and have someone fab up the tap. They got it done and its not perfect but close to factory looking. They had everything dimensionally wise very close. with the exception of the hole. They totally forgot about the distance away from the arm.

The factory tab the hole is about 1" away from the arm. The one they fabbed up its about 5/8" away from the arm. This will cause the link to be tilted and more of a angle than factory. Will this be a problem at all? Im not sure about all the geometry and how this may effect it. Should we remake the tab? Thanks guys?

If it makes the car lean, you can name the car "Eileen".... (I lean...)... LOL!

I'm not sure if it will cause any problems.

Typically, standard tolerances are about 1/8", this is 3 x the "standard tolerance".

If it makes the car lean, you can name the car "Eileen".... (I lean...)... LOL!

I'm not sure if it will cause any problems.

Typically, standard tolerances are about 1/8", this is 3 x the "standard tolerance".

LOL, I still dont have a name for it. I may throw that in the hat.

I was thinking it will be really hard on the link itself and cause it to bend or break.

LOL, I still dont have a name for it. I may throw that in the hat.

I was thinking it will be really hard on the link itself and cause it to bend or break.

There is a possibility, but unfortunately the only way to tell is to put it together.. But then if it is not right, they you have to take it all apart to fix it...

Maybe the best thing to do is to remake it more like the factory one to be safe and save you from having to take it all apart if it won't work.

There is a possibility, but unfortunately the only way to tell is to put it together.. But then if it is not right, they you have to take it all apart to fix it...

Maybe the best thing to do is to remake it more like the factory one to be safe and save you from having to take it all apart if it won't work.

Exactly why I asked.. I only want to do this once. LOL While they are out of the car I think it would be best to make it correct. Thanks for your input

What do you call a girl with a wooden leg??? Peg....

What do you call a man with no legs from below the knee??? Neil....

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs at the front door??? Matt...

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs swimming in a pool??? Bob....

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs in a hole in the road??? Phil....

What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs hanging on the wall??? Art....

Ok, that's all I've got...

Exactly why I asked.. I only want to do this once. LOL While they are out of the car I think it would be best to make it correct. Thanks for your input

Yes, I like you, believe in doing it right the first time.... So you don't have to do it over... :violent1:

Not to mention, Who's @ss ends up walking when it breaks down???? :wack:

Quality, reliability, and durability are important to me. :cheers:

Here's an example of sway bar effect... When I worked for used car dept' at dealership, manager brought a GM from the auction that had 3 of those twist in spreaders between the coils of the spring on one side. This was to correct/level the cars stance. I also noticed the stem in the sway bar end link was bent bad.
Didn't take a genius to figure out this car had been wrecked.
After I corrected that end link kit I removed those coil spacers ( I still have those here somewhere ). The car sit perfect. So, yes the sway bar can pull down on one side pushing up on the other in some cases.
The mere 3/8 inch offset you have described would more likely just dissipate in the end link, maybe shorten the life of that end link, and maybe wear the forward bushings sideways over a very long period.

-
Back