Sway bars

-

bthieson

Reaction score
Howdy,

I've been reading a little bit about those $99 front sway bars you can pick up from Just Suspension. They seem like they make a pretty big difference around the corners. Has anyone here had any experience with them? Is there any welding required? I currently have a slant 6 Duster. Will the kit they sell bolt right on, or do I need to change my lower control arms? Any suggestions would be great!

I just changed the front one in my 67, went from 3/4 to 1 1/8th...nice change and it was a bolt in. You'll need the attachment for the end links and mounting plates for the k member. It should be a piece of cake though. I'm looking for a rear sway bar now!!

Hey guys there are kits on ebay front and rear for 180.00 ish including shipping. I got mine there. They are addco bars. Also the kit I got comes with a piece of angle iron with holes punched in it, for use if you dont have the original mounting places.
I got the 1 1/8" front and 7/8" rear and all the hardware for about 180.00 really good price!

is there any trick to mounting the front sway bar l brackets for cars that didnt have sway bars. on my barracuda they mounted where the shocks mount. but it looks like i have to drill mine. i assume you want these to be pretty even on both sides. anyone have experience doing this.

I just called Just Suspension and I asked some questions. The guy there had concerns about my Disc Brake conversion kit. He said it might hit the caliper. I called SSBC to see if their kits are close to stock size and location. I really want this sway bar!

slantscamp said:
is there any trick to mounting the front sway bar l brackets for cars that didnt have sway bars. on my barracuda they mounted where the shocks mount. but it looks like i have to drill mine. i assume you want these to be pretty even on both sides. anyone have experience doing this.
I went to install mine yesterday. My car didn't come with a factory sway bar, but there were holes on the front of the K-member that I believe are supposed to be used. They weren't quite wide enough, so I had to drill the holes a little bigger. I'm pretty nervous about getting this done, I'm having a very hard time seeing how it's going to fit. Has anyone else here installed them before? Is it better to have your car jacked up when you install it or not? I had to remove the little bracer that goes between the front of the k-member and the frame. It was directly in the way of where the sway bar has to go. Anyone with similar situations?

are you talking about the brackets that mount to your k frame? those should bolt to two existing holes in your k frame. i can take a picture of my brackets mounted up for you. i still havent mounted my sway bar though because i am unsure of where to drill the lower control arms to mounts the L brackets. anyone have experience with this?

The front k-member was changed in 73 to route the sway bar through the K instead of in front of it. If you have a 72 or older and the disk brakes are mounted to the front of the car the sway bar may hit the calipers becuase the bar attaches to the out side of the strut rod. If your car is a 73 or newer it mounts inboard of the strut rod and there is no issue.

Here is a picture of a 73 K-member with the addco 1 1/8" mounted to it. It made a big difference in the handling of my 68 Barracuda.

Swaybar1.jpg

Swaybar1.jpg

Swaybar1.jpg

-
Back