Sway bars?

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
Anyone ever used these sway bars from ebay? If so are they good, and do they offer any improvement?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...25645673QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130225645673&

They are pretty cheap, about the same as a name brand front sway bar from summit racing. If they are good, I might try them out. I'm not looking into making my car a track handling race car, just looking to improve the handling a little.

And since I have a 73+ K-frame and an 8-1/4 rear, do I use the 73-76 kit even though my car is a 71?

yes. use the 73+ bar. the k frame mounts the frame brackets nicely on a 73+ k frame. those look like addco. they work fine on 73+, but not good on 72-.

I bought one of those kits but have yet to install it. I thought it was such a good deal. I have a 1974 Duster but the kit I got was for I think 70-72. I figured they would still work. At the time they didn't have a kit for '73 and up. But after seeing "redfastback" answer I probably shoudl have waited. I know for sure the rear would be the same.

Looks OK but the rear bar seems to be a bit large. I run a 1.25" front and .75" rear and it handles very well. I think having a 1" up front and .75" out back that the back will be too stiff and cause handling problems.

I've used Addco's rear bar on a Nova I used to have, the Demon has a PST unit. Pro: Reduced understeer. Con: Increase unsprung weight.
What it means to drive it. Reducing understeer makes the car feel more balanced in the turn. Both times I used the biggest bar I could get. This has allowed me some power oversteer without resorting to steering and braking tricks to get the tail to hang out a little when cruising briskly.
Both the Addco and the PST bars mount to the axle using their intended mounting method. This increases unsprung weight. Know how the car likes to hop sideways going over some kinds of bumps? Increasing unsprung weight increases this tendency. I've fabricated brackets for the rear and mount the bar to the body as the old Dart cop car did. In this way, the bar is carried by the springs. This does not make the car quit wanting to hop sideways, it just doesn't make it more prone to do so.
The bars in the auction look like they'll fit your 73 K-frame and axle combination. Good luck.

-
Back