swaybar bushing install problems

-

bumnround

Reaction score
I'm really having a hard time getting the new bushings in the brackets. I can get them over the swaybar no problem but putting them in the bracket is another story. Any tips? (67 cuda) Thanks Greg

If you are talking about the triangle shaped bushings then the only way I have found to replace them is to cut open the bracket, place it around the bushing (after it is on the swaybar) and then carefully weld the bracket back together. Tried making a setup to press the bushings in and never had success; gave up and ground out a weld and opened the bracket up. Managed to not damage the bushing when we welded the bracket back together but it was close!

I think that Steve68 has described it very well. I came up with the same solution for my '68 Cuda. Going from a rubber bushing to a polyurethane bushing made it especially challenging because the new material does not compress very easily.

In my '68 service manual, it advises to completely replace the entire sway bar assembly when bushings are worn out. Best of luck!

I hope I don't have to do that.

Steve68 is correct. If you want to use the factory type, cutting is the way. Otherwise you have to use the aftermarket kit.

Grant

-
Back