Switching to manual steering. Column coupler up to the task?

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
I'm removing my power steering and putting an alloy manual box in. Wondering if the coupler on the power steering shaft is strong enough to use with manual steering? Anyone had any issues? Is there a difference between power and manual steering couplers?

coupler.jpg

The coupler is not an issue but the shaft length is too short on the power column.

There is an adapter sold to adapt the power column to a manual box.

Pricy but functional.

Screenshot_20231014-165457.png

As for strength... no issue

Last edited:
I bought and installed it on a new manual box with original ps colum.
It certainly gave more clearance, construction of the adapter looks solid to me

The coupler is not an issue but the shaft length is too short for the power column.

Pricy but functional.

View attachment 1716153853

I used that same adapter on my 70 Duster w/manual & OE PS column and it worked fine.

The couplers don't interchange between power and manual steering anyways- different diameter shaft and different spline count.
Does that adapter shown above have the male splines for a power or manual coupler?

The couplers don't interchange between power and manual steering anyways- different diameter shaft and different spline count.
Does that adapter shown above have the male splines for a power or manual coupler?
The adapter has female splines for the manual steering box and male splines for the PS steering column coupler

The coupler is not an issue but the shaft length is too short on the power column.

Pricy but functional.

View attachment 1716153853

That's good to hear, I have the one piece adapter that Mancini sold, but my main concern was the long term durability of the PS coupling, as I thought maybe it wasn't designed for the stresses of turning a manual box. My box is slow ratio, so that will mean it's not too hard to turn, but hoping it will be up to the task in the long term.

20231016_201957.jpg

Last edited:
Instead of starting a new thread, I have a similar question.

66 Barracuda, I want to remove my power steering and convert to manual. What is needed?

Just a manual steering box and this adapter?

Thanks

I have on on my 70 Dart
Solid piece, very happy
Went ps to manual 16:1 fast ratio box
Won't ever go back to ps

-
Back