T-727 Problem

-

bandit340

Reaction score
Just replaced T/Conv with a 3000 stall unit.Now after 30 miles of driving it will not engage in any gear. Come out next morning and let it run in neutral for 30 sec and it works great.All fluids are correct. Starts in Park and neutral then. No leaks at all. Is the T/C bleeding down,or pump begining to fail ?

Then come out next morning and it will not work in any gear....come back in 6 hrs and works fine after running in neutral for 30 sec.

I really do not want to pull this apart again,especially after spending $$$ on new 727 and TC

Car is a 1970 340 Duster

Sounds like the TC is draining back. If there are no leaks, you may be able to benefit from the solutions for the A518 problem of the same nature. That would mean some work on the valve body, but not removal of the trans.

Some perf. converters are more prone to draining back and that's what sounds like is happening. Trans-go makes a kit that is a modified manual valve to install in the valve body along with a couple springs and such and it'll solve the problem cause what it does is allow fluid to pump in park. Or if the trans works fine other than that problem you can just start it up and slip it in neutral for 30 seconds each morning and allow it to fill the converter and then drive off. That's what I do and have no problem with it. To me it's no big deal. My car is so cold natured it won't idle until you hold it at about 1200 rpm for 2 minutes so while I'm warming the engine I have it in neutral. Then by the time the engine is warmed up it drives off just fine.

I just re-ckd flex plate to t/c clearance and it cks good.It just takes 30 sec in neutral to get the car in gear. Why the T/Conv bleeds down ?

-
Back