t56 swap dodge dart

-

snapetwo

Reaction score
I am sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I tried to search but kept coming up short. search told me "t56" had to many results.

I am thinking of putting a t56 in my 73 dart.
I plan on putting a tubular sub frame and building a custom cross-member, and i know i will have to cut and modify the tranny hump. However I have also read there is a possibility that i will need to relocate the torsion bar cross-member.

basically just converting from an auto to a manual, gonna have at least 400+hp/torque. the 4speed that was in dodges i have read alot about the high rpms at highway speed and then couple that with the 400+ Hp.. that's what im looking at the t56, plus in the years I am planning on getting a viper v10 swap, have a friend with a wrecked viper and he is willing to sell me it.

Does anyone know if this is true about the transmission? if so i will have to consider other tranny options. Thank you in advance.
ps, if anyone has a link to any other t56 posts, PLEASE let me know...i hate double posting

Thank you both. I didn't find that post when i looked.
bbswinger, it said you had to fab up a new Tbar crossmember, how hard was that? you have any pictures?

also im new to the forum, should I be replying to your actual post of the swap or the one i made..don't wanna break any rules. HA

You can see what I made in the post. I miss spoke about its size it is made out of 2x1/2x3/16" C-channel. The way I did mine I have the trans as high as possible, can go 3/8" higher than stock if needed, and still not have a huge bulge in the tunnel with stock carpet. My engine is has about 3/4" set back as well. One thing I would do different is leave a little more of the factory crossmember and build a mount or at least a crossbrace onto it instaed of going across the frame connectors. But I dont have a lazer cutter.

-
Back