TA heads????

-

entropy

Reaction score
OK guys... whadda ya know about TA head castings?

I got a set of U castings on my 360 when I bought it. The previous owner told me they were '70 TA heads. I have looked around on the Web and some say they are, some say no. How can you tell for sure?

Thought I'd post it up here and see what you guys say.

Look at the intake pushrod holes they will be offset away from the intake ports and the intake rockers are also offset not straight like the exhausts. The T/A head had a casting number of 3418915 which is the same casting as a 340/360 but with standard pushrod holes. They are not T/A heads without the offset pushrod holes but do flow the same as cast because they are the same casting.

Chuck

quick and dirty- if a stock set of rocker arms will work
their not TA
the intake rocker on the TA are offset. peculiar to 1970 only
also the intake pushrod holes are offset (towards each other)
and you can spot the "half hole" milling
if ya got a set? their pretty expensive with rockers and everything.
can be ported more than reg head (X,O,U) but stock their
just the same performance as a regular 2.02 head

I have a set on my fish. I believe Chrysler sold them as well as putting them on the T/A cars. So they may not have come off a T/A.

Chrysler off set the push rods so the stock port could be opened up by the owner or the racer. The reson behind this was for Trans Am racing, (AAR Cuda and T/A Challenger) they had to run stock factory engine parts. You can only port a regular 340 head so far. By offsetting the push rods, you can go even further (sneaky). Original 340 T/A heads flow the same as a stock 340 head. They also had special valvetrain. Unless you pull a valve cover off, you will never notice them. Original heads bring a lot of cash! Unless I had a AAR or a T/A, I would sell them and get a set of aluminum Edelbrocks!! :toothy7:

This is what they shoud look like.

egn_0017 copy.jpg

egn_0019 copy.jpg

egn_0018 copy.jpg

OK, so I had to pull the cover and see. Guess these are just stock 340 heads.
I can live with that!

Thanks Guys.

heads-1.jpg

-
Back