Tachometer Sending Unit

-

Glow Worm

"Not Your Grandmaw's 318"
Reaction score
The tach in my car has never worked since I bought the car.
I was checking the wiring yesterday and found that there are 3 wires on the sending unit, and one bare screw.
When I turned the bare screw the tach needle went all the way around to the other side of the tach.
When I turned it back, the needle went back to zero.
Is this an adjusting screw?
No matter how I tried I could not get the tach to function. It was either on zero or maxed out.
Do you think the electronic board inside is trashed?
I've installed electronic ignition. Would the electronic ignition have affected it?
I don't want to have to buy the new electronic board if I don't need it.

You didn't mention what car or what tach you have but the tach is probably really old and the electronics is most likely bad (dried out capacitors etc.). I would recommend you replace the board with new electronics available from RT engineering. On my 67 Barracuda it was a quick swap and it worked very well with electronic ignition.

You didn't mention what car or what tach you have but the tach is probably really old and the electronics is most likely bad (dried out capacitors etc.). I would recommend you replace the board with new electronics available from RT engineering. On my 67 Barracuda it was a quick swap and it worked very well with electronic ignition.

Yep. That's what I thought.
My car is a 66 Barracuda. The can probably has the original guts.
Thank you.

Hi, you guys have the website for RT engineering? Looked on the web, lots of companies none seemed to have auto gauge electronics..
Found er on one of slantsixdan's posts http://rt-eng.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
:) I apologize the interruption :)

Sending unit received and installed. The tach now owrks, but it needs to bump uo a couple hundred RMP and I can get it adjusted to go there.

Any tips?

-
Back