Tag screws, check it out

-

matthon

Reaction score
So, I removed my fender tag to keep it safe, and it definitely appears to have never been removed. The car is green and the engine bay was painted black at some point, and when I removed the tag, underneath was rust and flakes of the original green paint.
The first pic is before I removed it, and it is consistant with what I have read, that Chrysler put the tags on with one screw and bent the tag up, then painted. Looks like the left side was bent up.

The weird thing is the screw on the left is slightly larger in diameter, and it has an angled head, (in the pic it is exaggerated due to the angle of the camera). I can even see no paint on the head and some black over spray on one side.
The right screw is smaller with a flat bottom on the head.

I checked out other fender tags and the screws are the same, except for a few 67 and earlier cars that I haver seen.

Was this the norm and then at some point changed to the same size screws without painting under the tag?

1.jpg

2.JPG

DSC04334.JPG

Mine are both like the one on the right... Crazy things happen over 40 years.

Someone probably needed a screw and one of your tag screws was just what they needed...

then they replaced it later..

They didn't always bend the tags up to paint the cars. For instance, on the A12 cars the tags were hung from a wire about where the rear view mirror goes. Some had paint on them, some didn't. The ones that DIDN'T have paint on them were from cars with a vinyl top (give it some thought.....you'll get it)

Still, some tags were bent up.. That may have been a plant thing, cause I don't think any of the St. Louis B bodies I've had have had a bent tag.

-
Back