tail light restoration

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
Wondering what the best way to make lenses look like new. I want to clean up my rear taillight lenses. What is the best way to get the old rubber gasket material off the edge of the lenses without damaging the lenses. What are people using to make their lenses shine again? I would also like to repaint the housings. Where can I get the silver argent looking color on the insides of the housings. Should I just use rattle can? are the outsides just supposed to be satin black or gloss?

taillights are for a 74 duster. thanks

Tate! Wuzzzzzzzzzzzz up!

I get the old rubber off with a small razor blade. Sometimes called an "Exacto knife" that can be found in art stores.

On the lens itself, you can use any product that is designed to do headlight covers on new cars. The new headlight covers haze over time and can be cleaned up and cleared up well with these products.

Mothers, Miguires, etc.... at your local auto parts store should have it.

I have used Turtle wax red compound to start with and finished with the white. Not as good, but alot better than the yellow haze the block 80% of the headlights light.

You can get MoPars "Argent Silver Wheel Paint" at your local dealer. It is a pain to use as far as rattle can paint goes. It is thicks and sprays on oddly. You have to shake it to death and use it in a warm temp area.
(Heat up the garage, spray and leave!)

On the black, I'm not sure, but I think, between the two, I'd go Satin.

Tate! Wuzzzzzzzzzzzz up!

I get the old rubber off with a small razor blade. Sometimes called an "Exacto knife" that can be found in art stores.

On the lens itself, you can use any product that is designed to do headlight covers on new cars. The new headlight covers haze over time and can be cleaned up and cleared up well with these products.

Mothers, Miguires, etc.... at your local auto parts store should have it.

I have used Turtle wax red compound to start with and finished with the white. Not as good, but alot better than the yellow haze the block 80% of the headlights light.

You can get MoPars "Argent Silver Wheel Paint" at your local dealer. It is a pain to use as far as rattle can paint goes. It is thicks and sprays on oddly. You have to shake it to death and use it in a warm temp area.
(Heat up the garage, spray and leave!)

On the black, I'm not sure, but I think, between the two, I'd go Satin.

hey Rob, how have ya been

cool, ill stop by the hobby shop and see about picking up some blades. looks like i'll stop by the chrysler dealer and see about that paint and some of that headlight compound. Hopefully they will look like new!

Take your time and use alot of elbow grease on the lens. It'll look good when your done.

I used a testors paint marker to re paint my silver on my taillights. It is not much different in color to the silver argent and is a whole lot easier to apply. My taillights came out awesome. You can get the testors paint markers in any hobby store.

-
Back