Tail pipe is rusted, want to replace muffler and pipe

-

Duster'71

Reaction score
On my 71 Duster, the tailpipe has some rust holes near the end that cause a nasty coughing noise.

I'd like to replace that and the muffler, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells what I want. I don't want anything loud or expensive, just something to help keep the original look and get rid of the nasty coughing.

I'm not sure of the parts houses in your area but Autozone had a muffler and tailpipe for my 63 Valiant. The muffler was $18.00 and the tailpipe was $36.00. This was about 5 years ago.
Forgot to say it's stock replacement.

I think you might find out that it still does what it does after replacing the pipe.
Sometimes a fresh air leak in the pipe will cause "coughing" or popping in the exhaust, but it usually has to be pretty far forward in the exhaust system to cause it.
(far enough that the next exhaust valve that opens is close enough to ignite any unburned fuel in the pipe)

Couldn't hurt to fix the pipe, but still.

I'd like to do it myself if at all possible. And by nasty, I mean undesirable. I just had it on a lift the whole weekend replacing the front end steering and suspension components and noticed the rusty tailpipe was getting worse. Decided to make it my new project.

Also, I just had the engine rebuilt about 6 months ago and she has never run better.

I checked Autozone online and they didn't have anything listed, but I'll stop by in person to see if something shows up. I was more curious if there was a website you guys know of that deals with this kind of thing and has a good rep.

Thanks for all your replies!

On my 71 Duster, the tailpipe has some rust holes near the end that cause a nasty coughing noise.

I'd like to replace that and the muffler, but can't seem to find anywhere that sells what I want. I don't want anything loud or expensive, just something to help keep the original look and get rid of the nasty coughing.

Oreilly's sells stock looking Walker mufflers here.

I'm not sure how stock you want to go. The stock exhaust is 1 7/8 inch diameter. The Dart Lite/Feather Duster had a 2¼ inch system. If you want to go with this system, suggest you look at Classic Industries for the head pipe and a 2¼ inch LH (driver's side) tail pipe w/o tip for the 340/360. Put a muffler in the middle from any supplier that connects to 2¼ pipes and has the sound that you like.

2 darts is on the right track, never used classic but Accurate LTD has a full 2.25 system. For the money i would just go to a muffler shop and have them do a 2.25 system from the exhaust manifold (they will want to go from the about the trans crossmember) to the the muffler, then 2.5 to the bumper.

for the muffler i would go with the flowmaster Delta flow 50 series. Its just a little louder than stock, much better rumble, and increased performance/mpg over any of the perforated tube BS.

while your at it buy a 2.25" thick exh flange so you dont have to use the old thin one and buy a Remflex gasket.

-
Back