Tail-Shaft Bearing Noise......Cont'd

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Well, I decided to have a local shop put the car in the air and take off the tailshaft assembly to see what sounds like "marbles" in there.......As I said earlier, it sounded like an extremely worn bearing, and was getting worse.....the nioise was directly under the hump by my shifter........

It had a bad driveshaft previously that ruined the u-joints, and I would have sworn the bearing was chewed up........

I just got the call from the shop, and they said the bearing looks like new.....The bushing was worn, but they said the bearing was definitely not in need of replacement..........

Now I'm worried that the problem is somewhere other than this........Is there another bearing in front of that one that could be the noise? I'm prayin' that it was the worn bushing making the noise, but I just don't know what to think..........

I'm waitin' for another call......they're puttin' it back in the car.........:read2:

Just got the car back............

They removed the tail assembly, and checked the bearing and bushing.......believe it or not, it was ONLY the bushing making all that racket like marbles.....sounded just like a bearing getting ready to fly apart......

The outside of the bearing is worn pretty badly in random eccentric patterns, and the inside is scored heavily........They cleaned it all up, put in a new one, and the noises are completely gone...... Nice and tight.

They also adjusted my throttle pressure and passing gear, and tweaked my throttle cable a bit........All for $150. even............

I think that's a fair price for the time they put in it. Look at the pics......

112_1249.jpg

112_1250.jpg

Yup..........This little bushing was so loud that it compelled you to let off the gas so it didn't explode............Unbelievable. 8)

thanks for sharing,who was the shop that did the work? and what a decent price for it too!!!Awesome!!!

Starlight Transmission of Route 54 in Zephyrhills-Florida.........My hat's off to the guys over there, owner and mechanics...........Great shop, great service........I'll definitely use them again. :cheers:

(Dang, this thing shifts nice now!) 8)

The marks on the outside are of no concern since the bushing does not spin , those more than likely happen when it was first installed and/or during the removal process .

The scary part is how they removed it , hopefully they didn't damage the bore in the end of the tailhousing too much .

It's safe to assume the sliding yoke doesn't look bad considering what the inner surface of that bushing looks like ?

-
Back