Tailshaft swaps

-

Marksman

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm going to put a 383 and a motorhome 727 into my club cab truck. Club cabs have a 2 piece drive shaft and a short tail shaft. My MH trans has the "intermediate" tail shaft (Longer than the short, but shorter than the regular slip yoke type). I have an extra good small block club cab trans that I want to take the short tail shaft and housing from and install them on the MH trans. Since I have a 727 car case with nothing but the tail shaft, I am then going to install that onto the club cab trans.

I'm fairly competent and have the ATSG book on rebuilding 727's, but I was just wondering if there was anything I should look out for if anyone had some information first hand.

I know, not an A body, but I like you guys more.

Thanks!

There may be a couple of small issue's but nothing big deal and you should be able to do this fairly easily.
Might use the CC 727 governor also, since RV governors are usually sprung different.
A CC truck might be the same though, but just in case.

Well, I decided to go ahead and do the swaps today and everything went smooth.

I remembered that I bought a BB case at a swap meet about 3 weeks ago, and decided to put the CC guts into it since I already have plenty of small block transmissions. The BB trans had an accumulator blocker rod in it, and I decided to leave it in there. Didn't know such thing existed but I do now.

The CC trans had obviously been into before, and everything inside looked nearly new. I have high hopes that I now have a good BB car trans. The bands and everything else looked the same in the motorhome trans, except the front band in it was red which I assume is heavier duty. Hopefully it works as well. I don't think there's too much that I could mess up since I didn't mess with the clutches.

I'm now confident that I could rebuild one of these. That process looks straight forward and the ATSG manual does a pretty good job of explaining how to do all of it.

-
Back