Taking apart a valve body for an overhaul

-

Thrasher

YoungestMemberUALocal7
Reaction score
I have a non lockup 727 apart in my garage now, clutch pack and pump and all that fun stuff is apart like it should be... but this is the first time I've had a tranny apart, and I'm wondering what I should be looking for when I service the valve body? I have that Carl Munroe book and it has been an enormous help, but it doesn't really go in to detail about taking the valve body apart. Bottom line is I want the ******* thing to go back together after I'm done, and I kinda want to know what I'm getting into when I do go through it. I don't really know what to expect when I open it, and from what I've been told, it's stupid to do a transmission overhaul without at least cleaning out the valve body. Any thoughts on this?

All I can say is clean and put back the same way and not forget:toothy10: where the springs go and make sure all little pistons move freely.
just a small sliver of anything can stop a valve body.

I like how the valve body just drop out after the filter.
I would say keeping it clean as you build and read your book you will be fine
simple gasket like a carb and you will have it.

Or if it was me :-kI would be letting someone that new what they was doing and I would be happy installing it knowing all is good.
A tranny can be testie.:drinkers:

Good luck and I hope you get some help on this soon.

You'll be fine. Don't be afraid of it. Lay out some towels on your bench to catch fluids when you separate it. The main casting has the check balls so when you remove the screws the separate the body, make sure it is on the bottom so the balls don't fall out and roll away. Keep all the small parts organized and note where the check balls are. Your book should have pictures. In many case you don't have to disassemble and remove all the valves. On the valves you do remove, don't polish the edges or anything. They need to remain sharp. What you don't want to do is use anything that will leave chunks of lint behind while cleaning.

Keeping the detent ball and spring on the rooster comb under control is probably the toughest job :)

If you plan on installing a shift kit or reprogramming kit while you're at it (always a good idea on a stock trans), they'll have plenty of instructions and pics regarding the VB.

As mentioned before, make sure you have a very clean area to work on it, lay it out just as you take it apart to make sure you don't mix up you springs as If I remember right they are different tension for the shift points.

Thanks for all the useful info guys... on a similar note, what would be good to clean all the internal parts with? I'm assuming anything like brake cleaner or carb cleaner would be too harsh? I know that everything should be soaked with atf before reassembly... anyways sorry for all the silly questions :dontknow:

Thanks for all the useful info guys... on a similar note, what would be good to clean all the internal parts with? I'm assuming anything like brake cleaner or carb cleaner would be too harsh? I know that everything should be soaked with atf before reassembly... anyways sorry for all the silly questions :dontknow:

If you don't have a parts washer/solvent tank, then carb or brake cleaner works just fine. Just be careful you don't richochet the stuff back into your eyes! You can lube the valves with a little ATF. Lube up the shifter seals too. A dry seal is more likely to get damaged and leak. A little petroleum jelly works too. Shouldn't have to soak anything (except clutches).

-
Back