Tale of two 72' Demons

-
Awesome shop! i like how everything is setup...looks pro :thumbup:

Thx MD, I'll be picking your brain forsure when It comes time to build the paint booth, budgets out the window after having the engine built so I'll need to learn fast in the autobody 101 class. lol. I love your car man, you did such a great job when I go back and look at your starting pics, thanks again for sharing, I know that it takes alot of time and effort to just get that info from the shop to this site. I'll be revisiting your thread many times throughout my build.

Its almost go time!

Cheers

Thx MD, I'll be picking your brain forsure when It comes time to build the paint booth, budgets out the window after having the engine built so I'll need to learn fast in the autobody 101 class. lol. I love your car man, you did such a great job when I go back and look at your starting pics, thanks again for sharing, I know that it takes alot of time and effort to just get that info from the shop to this site. I'll be revisiting your thread many times throughout my build.

Its almost go time!

Cheers
Thanks buddy, im glad you enjoyed it and happy that it gave you some insperation to work on yours.
Now it's your turn...get to work haha ;)

Thanks buddy, im glad you enjoyed it and happy that it gave you some insperation to work on yours.
Now it's your turn...get to work haha ;)

It is time! It only took me just over one year since I picked up the first Demon. A new job and a move that required moving two car bodies on castors was kind of a set back but then again I think it all happened according to plan. Now I have the space to do it. In town was kinda crampin my style. Neighbours were probably gettin ready to call the sheriff if I had showed up with a 3rd Demon and planted it on the front yard, lol.

Good news is I finished up the shop on the weekend. Its ready to go! Gettin weldin on the rotiserrie tomorrow. Hopefully bolting up on the weekend. Keep you posted :mrgreen:.

Here's the last few pics, take a good look cause this is probably the prettiest it will ever look haha.

Cheers

Attachments

• compressor station.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 163
  • demon on cart.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 184
  • tool hangers.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Tool board.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 171
  • more tool hangers.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 168
  • mobile tools.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 172
Thx Randy, and same to you. I meant to shoot you a message when I first saw your car. Hope its coming along well for you. I'm just getting started as you may have read in my post. I'm no longer in Edmonton but not too far, just up in Athabasca County. Yes the Orange one was on Kijiji originally but without pics. The add said phone calls only. I don't think he even had the color listed in the add. The car was in Beaumont. Its just over a year ago I bought it. I'm having second thoughts about using it as a parts car now though. I'll see what I can come up with for the other 340 Demon that has the better of the two bodies, I have a few things up for trades so I may just save it in case I win the lottery and decide to build that one too. lol.

Keep in touch and shoot me a pm if your ever heading this way!

Cheers
Joe

Thx Randy, and same to you. I meant to shoot you a message when I first saw your car. Hope its coming along well for you. I'm just getting started as you may have read in my post. I'm no longer in Edmonton but not too far, just up in Athabasca County. Yes the Orange one was on Kijiji originally but without pics. The add said phone calls only. I don't think he even had the color listed in the add. The car was in Beaumont. Its just over a year ago I bought it. I'm having second thoughts about using it as a parts car now though. I'll see what I can come up with for the other 340 Demon that has the better of the two bodies, I have a few things up for trades so I may just save it in case I win the lottery and decide to build that one too. lol.

Keep in touch and shoot me a pm if your ever heading this way!

Cheers
Joe

Cool, when do you plan on having the car completed? I've never been to the Athabasca area before. Ahh ok, i saw an orange/white Demon for sale a couple months back that looks almost identical to yours. I'd save it if you can! they're getting really hard to find nowadays. What do you have for trades?

My Swinger is gonna be a big task on getting her back on the road, but i'm willing to spend the $ and time on it since it's an original EV2 340 4 speed car and exactly what i want.

I'll let you know if i ever head out that way! Let me know if you're ever out this way.. my car isn't much to see at the Moment, but i'm collecting lots of new parts!

Cool, when do you plan on having the car completed?

I'm gonna do it as money & time allows. I don't have a backround in autobody and this is my first project of this sorts. I am a welder by trade though and used to build service bodies for a few years in Edmonton. That should help in that department. Motors ready, I have a 727 rebuilt auto that I need to have checked out and I will probably have to use the rear end off the Orange Demon with the K-member and suspension as well. I have boxes of stuff to go though when the time comes so I'll sort that out then.

As far as trades I have a 4 speed hump, shifter and pedals. and an extra 72' trunk lid. Thats about it unless I decide to trade the other Demon body. Again, until I'm certain I'll keep it now that I have the space. I'm not going to cut the inner fenders out of the Orange one so that's something I need asap.

Not much progress tonight, just working on the rotisserie, With a wife and three kids I have to book time into the schedule for working in the garage. lol. What about yourself any timeline?

Cheers

Do you have the Z bar or any other of the clutch rod parts? Somebody put an auto in my car back in the eighties so all those pieces are long gone. Haha I know the feeling of finding time lately.. I don't plan on tearing into mine until spring time so I'm just collecting all the sheetmetal right now. I plan on having the body done by this time next year, which will be a huge task since its needs new sheetmetal front to back.. Luckily the frame rails are solid and hopefully the trunk pan (it looks perfect, but ill know for sure when it comes back from the blaster) my goal is to have it completely done in three years and I roughly figured out the cost to do this build and it comes to about $35,000 with me doing everything but the machining of the motor. The main thing that will be holding me back is $$ are you going to do the paint and bodywork yourself?

Keep this thread updated! Can't wait to see your car done!

...wanna build a second rotisserie? :D

Do you have the Z bar or any other of the clutch rod parts? Somebody put an auto in my car back in the eighties so all those pieces are long gone. Haha I know the feeling of finding time lately.. I don't plan on tearing into mine until spring time so I'm just collecting all the sheetmetal right now. I plan on having the body done by this time next year, which will be a huge task since its needs new sheetmetal front to back.. Luckily the frame rails are solid and hopefully the trunk pan (it looks perfect, but ill know for sure when it comes back from the blaster) my goal is to have it completely done in three years and I roughly figured out the cost to do this build and it comes to about $35,000 with me doing everything but the machining of the motor. The main thing that will be holding me back is $$ are you going to do the paint and bodywork yourself?

Keep this thread updated! Can't wait to see your car done!

...wanna build a second rotisserie? :D

pm me your email and I'll send you pics of what I have. We can work something out on the rotisserie if you want to trade for some body work when the time comes. I plan on doing my own paint. I think paint would be easier than body work. :D

cheers

Thanks Rod,

I never did make it down to see your Demon. Looking forward to it though. Now I'm up in Athabasca County which is a little further away but if you are ever in the neighbourhood drop by and check out the place. I'm on 12.5 acres, with a 28X26.5 detached garage wired with 220 which will work out perfectly for the project. Just getting it organized now and only got the Demon up here last week, It was a busy few months with trying to sell the house and find a new one. No excuses now lol.:burnout:

Once breakup hits and I have some free time I'll come up for look see and drop off those door panels. Thanks. Nice looking shop you have there!

Once breakup hits and I have some free time I'll come up for look see and drop off those door panels. Thanks. Nice looking shop you have there!

Sounds good Rod, I'm looking forward to it. Can't wait till I see that Demon of yours too. Hopefully this spring. :cheers:

Well I can't say it was without a challange but its on the rotisserie finally tonight. It works pretty good for a home jobby. I added some spring bolts for extra security and I'll need to try and locate some better rubber probably if I'm going to be pulling it in and out for blasting and stuff. A rotating handle on each end wouldn't hurt either but that's minor stuff. I can finally get to some work on the car itself.

I'll start by beefing up the connectors that were added at some point and then off to the inner fender patches and mini-tubs. Here is a few pics of the rotisserie and if anyone wants details or measurements just send me a pm and I'll get them to you. I like the design over all its pretty simple and it was free so I can't complain. There is a 24'' 3ton ram inside the inner vertical tube for lifting/lowering. Slow, but it works.

Cheers.

Attachments

• spring latch 1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 113
  • spring latch 2.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 117
  • rotisserie bottom.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 119
  • rotisserie top.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 108
  • rotisserrie rear.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 115