Talk to your loved ones.

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Please.

As most of you know, I was responsible in carrying out my first wife's wishes for end of life treatment. When we found out she had the brain tumor we sat and talked at length about her wishes. As her husband I was granted the authority, by law, to be her voice in all medical matters since she was unable to speak for herself. But she filled out the necessary paperwork, too, giving me health care proxy in case there were any outside forces who may have challenged me.

While in a coma she had the whole nine - or three as the case may be - traceotomy, pick line feeding her directly into her stomach and forgive me for not remembering the third. I also put into place a Do Not Resuscitate, knowing that if she went into cardiac arrest her already ailing brain wouldn't be able to survive the loss of oxygen and she would never live a life without aid.

She wasn't afraid to die. She was afraid of living brain damaged and unable to do the basic like feed herself or go to the bathroom by herself. She didn't want to live hooked up to machines.

Recently the flip side of this happened.

Karli's aunt, Jen, even suffering from cancer, and her husband never had such a talk.

The cancer thickened her blood and caused clotting that lead to several strokes. Finally, that clotting led to a massive heart attack that necessitated the use of machines to keep her alive.

Even after the strokes she still never had a plan put into place.

He was willing to leave her on the support machines forever. Or he wasn't. He flipped and flopped. I'm not going to judge the man as someone who's been there on a minute by minute basis, the emotional stress of the situation can take a rational person insane, knowing you hold the life of the person you hold most dear in the palm of your hands.

One of the reasons it's so important to have a plan in place.

A decision like this has to be made with a surety of conviction that is what your loved one wants.

While you or you loved one may live on on, you or your loved has to live knowing you or your loved one did the right thing.

I know I did, as that's what Sarah wanted me to do.

Jen's husband will not. Jen's sister, Karli's mom, convinced him to let Jen go. Now he and she both have to live on. Him, not thoroughly convinced he made the correct decision and her for having to take a responsibility that wasn't her's to take on.

Make sure your ancillary loved ones - those not responsible for the decision - know what is to be done and make sure they know the laws associated with marriage and health care proxies (the one you assign to make this decision doesn't have to be your spouse/partner). Jen's mother, Karli's grandmother, actually thought she and Karli's grandfather, as Jen's parents, had the legal authority in this matter, not Jen's husband. Make sure it's ironclad, if it's not your spouse, as they are families who may disagree with your decision or the decision you're asking someone else to make on your behalf.

The law in most states are clear: marriage takes precedence, but there will be parents/siblings/etc who may challenge you in court. Make sure they can't so it doesn't get prolonged like Terry Schiavo.

Sorry for the long winded preachy post. This is a topic close to my heart and I advocate for it every chance I can get.

Won't ever happen, but it would be great if a will/health care proxy were required to qualify for a driver's license. Almost everyone would be covered then and family members would be able to evade all the unnecessary turmoil.

Had a great uncle go through this with his son. It’s a tough call to make but it got my family talking.

Absolutely. Still recovering from not enough planning when my wife MJ suddenly died of a cranial anurism in 2015. Our planning all involved me takng a dirt nap long before her due to a seven yr. age difference. Do not make this mistake and plan young.
Thank goodness we had discussed not being left on life support and organ donation wishes a few month’s before but nothing was ever done pen to paper.
Some family will still not talk to me which is fine.
At least i knew her wishes and got to tell her i loved her that morning.

Absolutely. Still recovering from not enough planning when my wife MJ suddenly died of a cranial anurism in 2015. Our planning all involved me takng a dirt nap long before her due to a seven yr. age difference. Do not make this mistake and plan young.
Thank goodness we had discussed not being left on life support and organ donation wishes a few month’s before but nothing was ever done pen to paper.
Some family will still not talk to me which is fine.
At least i knew her wishes and got to tell her i loved her that morning.

Boy, can I relate to that. With a six year difference between Sarah and I it was assumed that I would go first. Didn't work out that way.

Her being an OT she worked with folks who had brain damage and was trying hard, without a lot of success, to function, but still needed the basic care she refused to accept as part of her own life.

For us, the talks were hypothetical, but we know what each of us wanted. Then the tumor came and we looked at as very real.

Sarah made it ironclad because she feared some might try to take me to court against her wishes.

one of the things i told my parents was, im not going to be there to take care of you, so before we go anywhere i want the both of you to look at several nursing homes and pick the one you would want to be placed in

Won't ever happen, but it would be great if a will/health care proxy were required to qualify for a driver's license. Almost everyone would be covered then and family members would be able to evade all the unnecessary turmoil.

WTF? why should your drivers license should be encumbered by nonsense like that. What happens in others family has ZERO affect on you and yours. Take care of your own business and leave others alone.

as they say, it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission even though it's your tree.
get the new survey just to substantiate your decision.

Nobody thought my first wife would die at 21. When she was diagnosed she went downhill very quick. Her mother and I got together and discussed the situation. Didn't matter a whole lot, there wouldn't be time for lawyers or anything else. We knew it was time to pull the plug. It was on July 3. I asked only that they not pull the plug on the holiday. July 5 the doctors shut off all but the respirator. July 6, it was over.

Nobody thought my first wife would die at 21. When she was diagnosed she went downhill very quick. Her mother and I got together and discussed the situation. Didn't matter a whole lot, there wouldn't be time for lawyers or anything else. We knew it was time to pull the plug. It was on July 3. I asked only that they not pull the plug on the holiday. July 5 the doctors shut off all but the respirator. July 6, it was over.

Damn I just don't know how you prepare for that. At 21 you are still a baby.

Been there..Robert makes a very important post. As the oldest living Male in our immediate family I sat the whole Family down and we had serious discussions about this. I've had to ok taking one of my little Sisters off of Life Support because Lupas had devastated her body and her organs were shutting down. A few years later I had to do the same for my almost 101 year old Grama because she was just wore out. She was in the Hospital and unconscious. Dr. said I should consider Hospice. I was holding her hand and when he said that she squeezed my hand and I knew it was time. If we had not had things in order and on paper it would have been much harder. My Wife and I have everything in a irrevocable trust and take a copy of our DNR papers to each Medical facility we are treated at. I'm glad Robert brought this up..It's Important.

My mom started talking about this stuff to me last year. She wants to go over all the details because she is losing her memory.

None of us want to lose a loved one, but we should know what they want for themselves if it comes to that.

My mom calls it her "End of life plans".

Talking with loved ones about this is a good start, but the best thing when you start getting older is to have a living will. It spells out in detail who will be in charge of your health care decisions and end of life decisions. We had ours done at the same time as our regular wills. So there will be no question about what is to happen.

Been there..Robert makes a very important post. As the oldest living Male in our immediate family I sat the whole Family down and we had serious discussions about this. I've had to ok taking one of my little Sisters off of Life Support because Lupas had devastated her body and her organs were shutting down. A few years later I had to do the same for my almost 101 year old Grama because she was just wore out. She was in the Hospital and unconscious. Dr. said I should consider Hospice. I was holding her hand and when he said that she squeezed my hand and I knew it was time. If we had not had things in order and on paper it would have been much harder. My Wife and I have everything in a irrevocable trust and take a copy of our DNR papers to each Medical facility we are treated at. I'm glad Robert brought this up..It's Important.

Lupus is for real bad. May be one of the most misdiagnosed female dominate illnesses there is.

Lupus is for real bad. May be one of the most misdiagnosed female dominate illnesses there is.

For sure..My Sister fought the good fight for 10 years with one kidney transplant. The last year of her life she spent more time hospitalized and unconsious than awake. She just couldn't fight any more.

A few years ago my wife and I put together our will & trust and shared/discussed this information with our 2 children.

My father-in-law passed away 3 years ago, my mother-in-law passed just 3 weeks ago. Fortunately, they also had a will & trust that spelled out everything. My wife was "power of attorney" for both her parents (dad had Alzheimer's and died from a heart attack, mom had a few strokes in 2012 but recently fell, fractured her skull causing a brain bleed and died 8 days after the fall when her heart gave out (the medication given to reduce the brain bleed really taxed her heart)).

Talking about your end of life wishes may seem morbid, but it really makes it so much easier for your loved ones when that time comes.

Both my parents had specific details in their living will as to how to treat their end of life care. My Mom passed in 2001 and we all knew exactly what to do per her wishes.

My dad is still living, but has severe Alzheimer’s and is in full care facility...but his final wishes are clear.

My brother-in-law passed 3 months ago from a severe heart attack after getting a liver transplant last summer. He was a total dumbass, but he at least had enough sense to execute a living will so we had clear guidance on what to do when it was apparent that he wasn’t going to recover from the heart attack and was on life support.

The point is, put your final wishes in writing with a living will and spare your loved ones the pain and heartache of trying to decide what to do when they are faced with the horrible choices in the end.

It is the kindest thing you can do for your loved ones.

-
Back