Tank Baffles - Need Input

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
I have this posted in this thread, but don't seem to being getting any input.
So I thought I would try a separate post with this question.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=245819

Need Input on tank baffles.

Here are photos of what I have laid out.

The holes will be 1".

I have the holes staggered from side to side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I need to know if I have too many, not enough, too large, too small of holes in the baffles.

Thanks,

Herb

i would come up taller and I would also create a baffle around where your sending unit is going.

I can't come up any higher from the pump to the end of the pickup due to the spare tire cut out.

I don't think the fuel sending unit will need a baffle. The float will run side to side along the rear of the tank. Also the factory never saw a need for a baffle around the sending units and they work fine.

Herb

[quote="Dart67";1970111958]I can't come up any higher from the pump to the end of the pickup due to the spare tire cut out.

I don't think the fuel sending unit will need a baffle. The float will run side to side along the rear of the tank. Also the factory never saw a need for a baffle around the sending units and they work fine.

Herb[/quote]

You asked for opinions. I gave you mine based on what i have seen work. Do you want opinions or do you just want us to agree with what you have already decided for yourself? your not using a factory tank or a factory sending unit. comparing them is not apples to apples. I have a summit brand fuel cell and it has a baffle around the sending unit. they wouldnt spend the money or time to loose profit on something that isnt a good idea. just saying. good luck with the build.

You asked for opinions. I gave you mine based on what i have seen work. Do you want opinions or do you just want us to agree with what you have already decided for yourself? your not using a factory tank or a factory sending unit. comparing them is not apples to apples. I have a summit brand fuel cell and it has a baffle around the sending unit. they wouldnt spend the money or time to loose profit on something that isnt a good idea. just saying. good luck with the build.

Yes, I asked for opinions and I appreciate yours, and in the final build I may very well put a baffle around the sending unit. I design and build as I go, nothing is set in stone.

I do not already have anything decided for myself. If I did I would not have asked for input.

The last thing I meant to do was create hard feelings. If I did I am sorry, it was not intentional.

I value all the input and help of the members of this site, Yours included.

Herb

You may be a bit generous with the amount of holes you have. I think the fuel would tend to just run straight through. The trick tanks have hinged baffles that let the fuel in but not out. I would highly recommend the anti-slosh foam in the non-sump area...it makes a BIG difference in keeping the waves to a minimum.

Ultimately it might be beneficial to have a sump area in the tank for your pick-up (small boxed area lower than the rest of the tank)

[quote="Dart67";1970112117]Yes, I asked for opinions and I appreciate yours, and in the final build I may very well put a baffle around the sending unit. I design and build as I go, nothing is set in stone.

I do not already have anything decided for myself. If I did I would not have asked for input.

The last thing I meant to do was create hard feelings. If I did I am sorry, it was not intentional.

I value all the input and help of the members of this site, Yours included.

Herb[/quote]

I appologise. I just re-read my post and it does sound kinda dick-ish. Didn't intend it to sound like that. It is hard to read tone in these posts. I do commend you on your project and wish you best of luck.

Foam is not an option in a fully TIG welded tank. The holes are very generous. Most of what I see are small slots along the bottom of the baffles but I'm no fuel tank design engineer, lol. The hinged baffle deal is interesting, and I've seen that in oil pans but I've never seen it in fuel cells.

-
Back