Tank venting

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well on on to restoring the gas tang out of the 74 duster.So wondering how its vented? ther is the line that goes to the carb,and 1 that went to the charcoal canister at the top of the tank witch i am not using anymore.Can i use it for venting purposes and if so how to.Thanks.

The older cars (before charcoal canisters) vented to the top of the filler neck. There was a hard tube from the tank parallel to the filler neck, with a short rubber hose at the top connecting to a nipple on the filler tube just below the cap. This is meant to work with a vented gas cap (I assume your car would have a non-venting cap for emissions reasons). I suppose you could run a similar tube anywhere so long as it exited outside the car (don't want to fill the trunk with gas fumes). Or switch to a vented gas cap. But don't run without any venting -- it could collapse your gas tank under certain circumstances -- I have had it happen with a clogged vent pipe.

The older cars (before charcoal canisters) vented to the top of the filler neck. There was a hard tube from the tank parallel to the filler neck, with a short rubber hose at the top connecting to a nipple on the filler tube just below the cap. This is meant to work with a vented gas cap (I assume your car would have a non-venting cap for emissions reasons). I suppose you could run a similar tube anywhere so long as it exited outside the car (don't want to fill the trunk with gas fumes). Or switch to a vented gas cap. But don't run without any venting -- it could collapse your gas tank under certain circumstances -- I have had it happen with a clogged vent pipe.

My old 69 Dart had the vent tube you describe,this is unknown to me the emission stuff ,I kind of figured that i could use it as the vent,i guess i will run a line higher than the tank and attach a filter at the end.If anyone thinks this is a bad idea please tell me. Well anyone.............

-
Back