Tanks, How-do-ya'..........

-

Daves69

Reaction score
Tanks, How-do-ya'.......... tell 'em apart?
This is late '60s a-body tank from years ago I've had sitting on a shelf in the shed. Immaculate on the inside from what I can see from the fill hole. The sensor is toast showing infinite resistance throughout float motion and needs help. It's clean where the straps run too.
I understand there's a difference between '67 and '68/9 Barracudas. And that is what I need some education on (at this point) if anyone can help me.

Tanks in advance!
GasT1.gif
GasT2.gif
GasT3.gif
GasT4.gif

67 and earlier had one strap running from side to side..

68 and later had two straps running front to rear...

some aftermarket tanks are made to fit either...

Some of the later ones have more vent tubes...

That's probably an OEM sending unit which is worth $$$. You could sell it on here easily.

Hey Thanks.
I'll do some checking starting right now. So here it is, what do we think on it?.............

Sensor1.gif
Sensor2.gif
SensorB.gif

There is nothing contacting the windings throughout it's travel. Not sure if there is a piece missing off the tip of the sweep or not.

Not sure, you'd have to call and talk to each of those places, send them pics, and see what they charge for the repair. OEM sending units are getting scarce.

....... send them pics, and see what they charge for the repair.
Got a reply message from Tri-Starr to my inquiry. They feel it's OEM, none in stock. I'll need to send it in for evaluation to get a firm price. Minimum two week turn around.
I found one on a shelf that I bought a long time ago and forgot about. A stainless 3/8" so I'm going to try it.

So here is this tank I need to clean up. Inside looks good except for powder film that I think I can wash out. What a pain in the azz to get an inside picture!
GasT0.gif

GasT0a.gif

The outside sucks though. Cleaning off this undercoat crap. Acetone, bug/tar remover, citrus have been tried along with a stiff scraper with some success.
What's the trick to it?
GasT5.gif

GasT6.gif

GasT7.gif

Before you mount that tank in the car install your aftermarket sending unit. There's a good chance the pickup tube might be too far down or up and will need some adjustment. You'll be able to tell by looking through the filler neck hole.

Not saying it will work, but DL hand cleaner will dissolve tar. I use it to clean road tar off. And it works on some undercoating.
Varsol may cut it. I wont suggest gas because its dangerous.

Before you mount that tank in the car install your aftermarket sending unit. There's a good chance the pickup tube might be too far down or up and will need some adjustment. You'll be able to tell by looking through the filler neck hole.

It is different. The tip of the pickup is front to back where as the stock ran side to side. They both end up pretty much the same area at the tank bottom. The float is on a shorter arc. Curious how it will fluctuate the gauge needle. Maybe like an old bow-tie car, Lol.

Not saying it will work, but DL hand cleaner will dissolve tar. I use it to clean road tar off. And it works on some undercoating.
Varsol may cut it. I wont suggest gas because its dangerous.

I have some DL, I'll give it a shot! Mineral spirits will be on the list too. Heat gun might be on the horizon.
You'll never catch me cleaning anything with :eek:gas!

It is different. The tip of the pickup is front to back where as the stock ran side to side. They both end up pretty much the same area at the tank bottom. The float is on a shorter arc. Curious how it will fluctuate the gauge needle. Maybe like an old bow-tie car, Lol.
All aftermarket senders are linear so your gauge will read much differently than stock. You may need to purchase something like a Meter Match (search this forum for more info).

So the tank came out so-so. Lol, Hope it holds gas....
GasT10.gif

All aftermarket senders are linear so your gauge will read much differently than stock. You may need to purchase something like a Meter Match (search this forum for more info).

Hoping it performs in the tank like it does on this spare gauge I have!
GasTSend1.gif
GasTSend2.gif
GasTSend3.gif

-
Back