Tanks Inc EFI recess size

-

DionR

Reaction score
Anybody have an idea how much real estate there is in the recess in the Tanks Inc. EFI ready tank?

Specifically, how much room between the sender and the wall next to the pump hole, and how deep is the recess?

Trying to figure out if I can fit a different pump in the same area and save myself having to weld up a recess in a standard tank.

Hi DionR,
The Tanks Inc. site indicates the bowl in the Duster tank is 4.3 L. If you go to the pictures tab, there is a great picture that should give you a good idea of how much room you have. Here is a link to the picture.

http://www.tanksinc.com/cartimages/prod_ssh_534_287.jpg?img_id=201608180901590

Travis

Thanks, seen that and been all over the sight. Also found their instructions that say their weld in recess needs to be at least 1.25" deep to clear the pump. But that doesn't tell me how deep the recess is in the preformed tank.

Weld in Fuel Pump Recess

I could scale some measurements off the picture you linked, but need a scale to start with. Not sure how big any of the parts are to get that. Need something like 8 or 9 inches between the sending unit and the wall of the recess.

Sorry, I should have updated this thread. I guess I didn't think about it because I never got the answer for sure.

Sent emails to both MagnumMopar and Tanks Inc, via their websites and while I got responses from both, neither seemed willing to pull one out and lay a tape measure on them. Both pretty much said "only our pumps fit", all though Tanks Inc did say the depth was about 1.5".

I did find drawings for the gaskets on Tanks Inc's website which gave me something to use to try and scale some dimensions off the pictures. Based on that, I concluded there isn't enough room in the recess without at least welding up the fuel sender hole, and even then the baffle in the bottom would probably pose a problem and I wasn't sure there was enough room in the recess front to back.

In the end, I decided to just buy a standard replacement tank and weld a pan into it.

I did suggest to Tanks Inc that they offer a tank that is only stamped, and welded together, but no holes or baffles welded into the recess area. Something someone could use to build a custom setup. No idea if that would fly, but seems to me from the outside that it would be fairly cheap to offer since the stamping dies are already done, and no labor is required after that other than welding the top and bottom together. Who know, maybe something will come of that someday.

I picked up a tank today for a 69 Cuda and started to fit the fuel pump and fuel sender unit. I measured 8.5 inches from the bottom of the tank on the inside to the top of the tank on the outside, this was for the fuel level sender unit.

I picked up a tank today for a 69 Cuda and started to fit the fuel pump and fuel sender unit. I measured 8.5 inches from the bottom of the tank on the inside to the top of the tank on the outside, this was for the fuel level sender unit.

Appreciate it. I was actually looking for the area around the pickup and pump holes, not really the depth, but I appreciate the info.

I gave up on the idea and bought a standard tank and am building my own pan (with help from a friend).

-
Back