TC for 904.?

-

silvadful

Reaction score
hey guys. am trying to find out what TC i need for trans. was led to beleive TC bought with parts would work but got dif # of teeth on inside shaft.
here what info i have.
on bell houseing 473.8
a 904 la = 318
stamped on rail pk 289 2029 y 2306 009 . think 1968
kcp 253 847.cant find anything for this num cast on side above links etc
input shaft 27 teeth diam 0.856
output shaft 27 teeth diam 1.150 approx. couldnt get rite in there with calipers
going behind a mild 318
end hole in crank is 1.800
also what starter to suit.? centre between starter holes is aproxx 4.108
thanx for help up front. cheers :coffee2:

ok reading thru other threads here have found that TC is up there with cam choice.
So gona go check out some local auto tran shops and talk to some people . i think trans is non lock up. could anyone confirm that from numbers. thanks.

Looked up the #'s and it is a 68 904 that came behind a 318. There is only 1 small block starter bolt pattern. The newer mini starter bolts up the same as the old style bulky starter

thank you fishy68. had a chat to a local trans store today and they said they could send convertor i have away to be rebuilt and refitted with correct splines for 904 for $250 to $300. then tryed to tell me you CANT put a 727 behind a 318.
( have 1 thats blown )
sure he wrong as blocks the same just the balance on TC different (ext). please correct me if i wrong.

read a bit more on the lockup, if the spines go to end of inner shaft it non lockup. correct ? thanx again

Your welcome. The converter for 68 and up transmissions is real popular. If your just looking for a stock converter Makko sells them for about $100. That'd be the way to go because it sounds like you have the old style converter that not only has less splines but they had a smaller crankshaft register (the button on the front that slips into the crank) so in addition to the price of them changing the insides you'd need to buy an adapter ring. By the end you'd have a lot into a stock converter, as much or more than an entry level performance converter would cost.

LOL... They sure don't know torqueflite's saying a 727 won't fit behind a small block. The only time you run into a balance issue with a small block torqueflite is on a late 340 (late 72 thru 73) or if using it on a 360 as they were externally balanced. All others are internal balance and need no special torque converter.

That's correct on a non-lockup input shaft. Here's a picture of them both. The top pic is a lockup, bottom isn't

Attachments

• 904 input shafts.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 153
cheers for that. yep soon as guy said 727 wont work i knew he not the man for the job. have since found another tc amougnst my bits that slides staight on, so gonna get that rebuilt (by someone else). im in New Zealand so parts arent as easy to come by here. 260 dollar back to stock specs, 300 for higher stall, sweet. or 600 for b&m from australia. my tranny bottom pic so nonlock up.
cheers.

I noticed your from NZ and know you guys have it harder getting decent prices on parts. Have you ever priced a converter from someone like Summit or JEGS? Price might be better but shipping may be a deal killer but it can't hurt to price it.

yeh fishy68 have had a look at those but as you say with freight its kills it for sure. specially something weighty like convertor. smaller stuff may work out but i prefer to let a shop here sort that.keep them in buso and i dont have to f&%k round with customs and the rest o that crap. and if it wrong can just take back for them to sort.

-
Back