TCI Streetfighter Shifter Installation Questions

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
Just a couple quick questions. I am installing a TCI Streetfighter Automatic Shifter in my Duster. My car currently has a column shift. I bought this shifter here on FABO and it did not come with any mounting hardware. Should I use self tapping bolts to mount the shifter to the hump in the floor or drill and use machine head bolts with lock washers and nuts to secure the shifter to the floor? I was leaning towards the machine bolts but not sure how they would sit with the bend in the floor where the shifter would need to sit. also I need to know the best way to remove the pin that holds the shifter lever to the column. Does it come out through the bottom or the top? What would be the best thing to use to drive it out. Also do I just drill the hole in the floor and run the cable out through the floor to the transmission? I have the instructions but am not clear on how to route the cable through the floor. Do I run the cable under the carpeting to the most forward point in the floor then run it back to the linkage? Or do I drill a hole 3" from the front of the shifter assembly and drop the cable under the floor and loop it around to the linkage? I do know I need to keep it away from the exhaust pipes and headers. I will be swapping out the column after I get the shifter in. Any assistance would be helpful. Thanks, maniac

I just installed a B&M ratchet in my Dart Sport. After I placed the shifter where I wanted it, I marked the holes and drilled for the bolts. Mine came with bolts and nuts, which is what I used. I did add some small washers between the tab and the floor on the driver side of the hump, so as not to distort the shifter bracket when I tightened the bolts. There should be a section in the instructions as to where to drill the hole for the cable, mine was a little to the left and forward of the front right mounting tab (there was a specific measurement) essentially you want as direct a pull on the cable where it attaches to the shifter. I believe mine required a 1 1/2" hole. It came with a grommet to center the cable in the hole and protect it. I think the general consensus is you will want a straight pull on the cable where it goes through the floor. My cable then went through the floor and went forward, looped and cam back to the trans linkage. You want soft bends so not to bind the cable. Common sense will tell you to keep it away from heat sources such as headers and exhaust pipe. Hope this helps.

Can't get the damn roll pin out to remove the column shift lever. Tried three different blunt end punches it is not moving. Got it to move on one side abut 1/8" but hopefully with some more beating it will let go

One other question. The instructions say to drill a 1 1/2" hole 3" in front of the front left shifter mount to route the cable through the floor. I drilled the hole and the cable seems to be too close to the mount that holds the cable to the shifter body. The cable would need to be bent at too radical of an angle to properly connect the cable to the shifter. Could I bring the cable forward of this point and drill and route the cable further away from the shifter mount so that it has more free play to move back and forth? It just does not seem right and I am following the TCI instructions to the word.

Can you post a pic? That sounds about right. I think it was 3" on mine too.

The mounting tab on the shifter should be at an angle, so when you mount the cable it will angle down through the center of the hole. Are all the parts there according to the parts list?

I believe you have to measure over a certain distance and the forward a certain distance from the front right mounting tab. I am going to go look at mine, I think I saved it.

Do your directions tell you to measure over an 1 3/4 inch to the left of the front right mounting hole and THEN forward 3 "?

Needed to bring the hole out about another 1/4". Will finish up the final installation tomorrow. Need to get 2 longer bolts for the transmission bracket and adjust cable and wrap it up.

Good deal, I'm running on generated power right now as our power has been out since about 4:30 yesterday. Had some wicked storms up here tornadoes and such. I'll check back in later to see how your progressing.

Shifter is finished!!! Works Great!! Not much room for adjustment on the cable though. Hint: When adjusting the cable , you can make adjustments much easier by removing the clip at the shifter and adjusting the rods at the transmission easier by measuring the travel points on the shifter handle where the cable attaches. I was able to adjust the shifter this way and it operated flawlessly!! Thanks for the help badsport!! I will post up some pics later after I get the car cleaned up a bit.

-
Back