Tech Help Fuel Cell and Battery in Trunk

-

71-440-Duster

Reaction score
I am looking to put a fuel cell and move my battery in to the truck of my Duster. I am looking for any info on what I need to do so I can pass tech at the track.

Do I need to seal off the trunk?

I am pretty sure I need to vent the fuel cell...

Do I need a sealed battery case and do I need to vent it as well?

Thanks in advance...

Rob

if the cell in in the trunk, you have to isolate the passenger compartment. that will cover the battery requirements. too. if the cell is under the car, then the battery has to be in a sealed box OR the trunk isolated from the passenger compartment.

if the trunk is sealed off, then you don't require a battery box. and you only need to vent if the battery is in a sealed box. H2 levels can get too high in a sealed box, and could explode (with an ignition source) if not vented.

I am looking to seal off the trunk using the rear seat card board seperator as a pattern.

The only sticky part will be the rear seat belts. I would like to keep the interior as stock looking as possible and keep the belts and rear seat.

I guess a have a few mods to make behind the rear seat to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Rob

it doesn't have to be air-tight....just has to contain a possible explosion....most people rivet them in the car. also have to do the package tray area.....and has to be the correct gauge steel or aluminum....but i don't remember what gauge. i think seat belt passages will be fine

It's supposed to be totally sealed from the passenger compartment and the fuel cell has to be vented to the outside, preferably through the trunk floor.

Don't quote me because I can't find my rulebook right now but I believe the spec is .040" aluminum or .032" steel. You can seal the edges with silicone sealer.

This may help.

vbgarage.php

71-440-Duster said:
I am pretty sure I need to vent the fuel cell...
Rob

Don't forget the check valve in the vent line. Incase of roll over this keeps the fuel in the tank.

My tank has a box built around it.With a hinged door on top.
Has the original rear seats in it, so that's another option.
My battery box is one of those summit plastic ones.

-
Back