Technical 8 1/4 rear end question.....

-

GDL

Reaction score
Ok per SA Designs 'Chrysler Performance Upgrades'.....

A 2.45 rear end has a special differential axel case..... Thus to upgrade gears I would need a new differential as well.

That means I need another full rear end... Huh?

I'm a GM guy and we just have to worry about ring and pinions and carriers matching up....

Reason being I have another 8 1/4 rear end but the only thing good about it is the gear set on the inside. The housing is way worse for wear....

Yep the 2.45:1 is pretty unique. Found this quote on the www.

Built by the Dana Corporation, the housing is cast iron with tubular steel axle tubes pressed and welded in to form a complete carrier and tube assembly. The gear assembly is accessed by removing an inspection cover having 10 bolts. 8.25" axles use either the "7260" or "7290" style U-joints. All 8.25" rears had 3" axle tubes with large bolt pattern (5 X 4.5" bolt circle) axles. Units with a 2.45:1 gear ratio have a special case that will not accept any other gear ratio. The axles are retained by a c-clip on either side. All axles were 27 spline until 1997 when they were upgraded to 29 spline.

I believe Dr. Diff has the conversion stuff to make it work. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers. Gaz

Well I have a full gear set chunk sitting in my garage from a 2.92 duster with a 8 1/4....

No, it only means you need the carrier for gears numerically higher than 2.45. Everything else will work.

Yes the carrier is the difference, I checked with Dr diff because I have a 2:45 rear end,but want to swap a 3:55 SG from a power wagon. He told me $110 for everything needed to swap my carrier and gears.

-
Back