Teds Excellent 69 Dart GTS Adventure

-

Ted Edison

Reaction score
view
This page will serve as my restoration, modification and self-gratification journal!! Quick background; I've had a bunch of muscle performance cars but never had a Mopar. So, after owning a lot of BMW's, I've decided my next play-toy will be a Mopar. I narrowed down my search to a 69 Dart just simply by the look of the front and rear ends. My goal for this car is to do what I want to do BUT in regards to current trends and opinions. For example, I just don't see my Dart as a restomod. I also don't see it as a drag car either. But maybe some cool elements from each?

Well what do we have to work with? I found a 69 Dart GTS in Y2 Sunfire Yellow(except it's B7 Blue now) with black vinyl top out of California from a FANTASTIC fella and Mopar enthusiast and all around nice guy. He's owned the car since 1980ish and here's what he told me; the original 340 auto puked shortly after he bought it. So, he decided on a 440 conversion as well a manual swap. Fenderwell headers, 4-speed, tubular A arms, paint changed to B7 blue, relocated battery to the trunk and some other odds and ends. Sometime around 2003ish the 440 gave up and he had it rebuilt. New gas tank, torsion bars, rear leafs, rebuilt 8-3/4 with 3:73 gears, radiator, rebuilt 727 TF with 2500 stall converter and some other goodies like gauges, disc brakes and new driveshaft were added along the way. Manual pedals are still in the car. From his documentation he used all Schumacher parts/headers...so it has the Tri-Y's on it now. Car has had 960 miles put on it since 2008. Clean title.

So, I've got a good base. A car that been modified already so that I don't feel guilty modifying it! Also, it's a 3 owner bought in CA and made in the LA plant. It never left the state and the condition of the sheet metal is OUTSTANDING. I'm amazed. No rust. Nothing underneath bent, welded, hacked or otherwise modified. Just the inner fender wells from the headers and the tunnel from the once-added manual. Both of these mods are adequately covered/fixed....for now. So, what to do? Well I figure for now, until I define my stages of restoration/modifications I will address 3 things; Paint/body, Mechanicals and Stance/Suspension. And go from there.

Paint/Body/Interior. Car has a few dents/scratches etc. I fear too many to just touch-up for now but I have to look into this and report back. I will be changing the color BACK to Y2 Sunfire Yellow at some point. Just gotta decide when that's going to be as I would like to completely disassemble the car and do a complete restoration. So for now, I've got to experiment on the B7 blue and see what I can do. Interior just needs a good cleaning. It's really not bad at all. It has Challenger buckets in it that are in really nice condition except someone decided to place a still-moving sander on the passenger seat. You can see the circular marks. Subtle, but you know how defects stick out on items that are in good condition!

Mechanicals. Man. I've had this car on the lift for the last 3 days. My goal here is just to make the car as good as it can be without changing stuff since again, I'm not completely sure what I'm doing yet. Also this being my first Mopar, I've got some learning to do! So, the front rotors were so loose the car had an extra 1/2deg of camber!! So, I removed all, inspected, repacked and installed. The exhaust was some deal made at a local muffler shop. ALL of the mig welds weren't finished at the top! So the exhaust came down and I mig'd the leaks! Needed new flange gaskets. Installed. Tstat was broke. Radiator cap was junk. Water pump bearings were shot (from sitting it appears they corroded and when started recently, began to consume themselves) and the balancer 2 groove pulley had ONE screw left in it! Battery was from 2012. It still worked but I replaced it anyway. How come my batteries never last that long?? Ok, well I fixed all of that and half-a-dozen other issues. Electrically this car is 100%. Every exterior and interior light, lights!! Horn. Radio. Wipers. Heater. Man does THAT thing works when that 440 is being pushed..lol.

Stance/Suspension. Car is raked way to much. I think the guy was going for a bit of a super stock look. Which is cool. Just not my taste...for now. 15's in the rear, 14's in the front.

Thanks for following along...I'll add as I go. Pictures, updates and random thoughts about my direction on this piece!!

20190630_173624.jpg

Motor runs great and is relatively tidy. Needed a little lovin' as noted. But all-in-all...not bad. Note the fender well header cutouts. They might come in handy based on my direction. I love the look of fender well headers. But after they get into the wheel wells, well, not so much!

20190630_173702.jpg

Interior functions 100%. All gauges, lights, heater, etc etc. Also, needs a going over. B-body seats are in decent condition...and very comfortable! Wife was reaching for the AC controls on one of our little jaunts. Sorry babe, wear less clothes!! Also, note the hole where the carpet inserts are. Car was originally an auto converted to a manual. Manual pedals are still in the car. I'll be fixing the tunnel when I do the restoration.

20190701_183019.jpg

This is garage 1. Not a parking garage although one of my M3's is in the frame. This car has ZERO rust. NADA! Can't believe how clean the underside is. No bend valances, supports, looks like the day it came out of the LA plant. Less the holes in the fender wells!!

20190704_171043.jpg

Side shot, pretty straight. Couple of dings. Nothing I can't hammer back. 15's on the rear, 14's on the front. Yup. Rake. Lots of it!!

20190704_171054.jpg

Same stuff, different angle.

Last edited:
Welcome! Looking forward to reading about your excellent adventure. I'll bet the Dart flies low with the 440 and 3.73 gears...when it hooks up. 69 is my favorite Dart year. Have a blast and keep it in one piece. Bob

Welcome to the world of Mopar and to FABO! I grew up just down the road from you in Waynesboro PA.

Looking forward to pictures and following your build.

Thanks all. Quick update on mechanicals. After doing a bunch of maintenance type work, I believe I'm ready to start with some simple stuff. First off, timing. It has a mechanical advance distributor. One of the cheapies it appears. So I'm going to set TDC on the balancer. Cam timing...etc etc. Check initial and advanced timing. See if everything was assembled correctly. The distributor will be fine for my initial purposes. But I am going BIG. But not "fast-big". Eventually, I would love to build a 440 based stroker. Some reason I see this car with a big engine, tunnel ram and 2 small 4's under a hemi hood/scoop. Also I noticed a bit more noise with the hydraulic lifters/rockers than I'm used to. So gotta check that as well. Finally, I'll set the carb up and move to suspension.

Speaking of suspension, I'm thinking of doing mini-tubs. I like the fact that it doesn't alter the sheet metal drastically, fairly easy to do and allows me to put some tire on the back of this thing. The shape of the rear of the Dart just cries for tire size imo. It's long at the trunk and angular. 235-60's aint' doing it. Of course I'd have to narrow the rear. I've done a few Ford 9" and the 8-3/4 doesn't look much different. Maybe just buy a housing, axle and swap center when it's ready. I wouldn't need much off each side. I need to lower this car a touch too. I'll have those pictures soon. Ramble ramble ramble.

Welcome to the world of Mopar and to FABO! I grew up just down the road from you in Waynesboro PA.

Looking forward to pictures and following your build.

My daughter started her teaching career at Waynesboro High! Small world. Thanks for serving!!

Welcome Ted, I lived and worked in York before moving to NY, prefer Pennsylvania any day! Good luck with the car.....

Welcome Ted, I lived and worked in York before moving to NY, prefer Pennsylvania any day! Good luck with the car.....

Thanks!! Yeah, as long as you don't buy gas here, we're good!!

Some updates, I'm headed to Carlisle and see if I can pick up a few things. I need a new carpet. Old one really isn't bad but for some reason, it was cut WAY short of the firewall/bulkhead of the car? Don't know why. But going there will allow me to see other Darts and get an idea of the carpet situation there. And a rear bumper. Maybe a few other "too big to ship" items as well.

Mechanicals; This weekend I'll check the cam/ignition timing and adjust the rockers. Then the carb. Pending my findings there, that's all I propose to do. I'm searching for another 440 block to put a stroker kit in. Once I get close to pulling this car apart for restoration/modifications, I'll sell this 440 complete, carb to pan. Might even sell the Tri-Y's with it since I might go back to fender well headers since the car is already cut for them.

Body. Decided against trying to match up and repair the cosmetics of the B7 blue. Just going to wait a few months and rip this buggy apart and prep it for Y2 Sunfire Yellow like it left the factory. Obviously, after I do the mini tubs.

Stance/Suspension. Decided against doing much here either since I'm pretty much sold on the mini tubs idea. So, more on that later.

So other than a few engine checks and a good cleaning, I'll just consider this a driver until around end of September. And then we'll begin the restoration. However, I will be starting on a motor and collecting parts for the mini tubs. Like another 8-3/4 housing, wheels/tires, shocks, sway bar for the front,,etc etc,

Pictures as promised this weekend. Thanks for allowing me to ramble!

Thanks!! Yeah, as long as you don't buy gas here, we're good!!

Some updates, I'm headed to Carlisle and see if I can pick up a few things. I need a new carpet. Old one really isn't bad but for some reason, it was cut WAY short of the firewall/bulkhead of the car? Don't know why. But going there will allow me to see other Darts and get an idea of the carpet situation there. And a rear bumper. Maybe a few other "too big to ship" items as well.

Mechanicals; This weekend I'll check the cam/ignition timing and adjust the rockers. Then the carb. Pending my findings there, that's all I propose to do. I'm searching for another 440 block to put a stroker kit in. Once I get close to pulling this car apart for restoration/modifications, I'll sell this 440 complete, carb to pan. Might even sell the Tri-Y's with it since I might go back to fender well headers since the car is already cut for them.

Body. Decided against trying to match up and repair the cosmetics of the B7 blue. Just going to wait a few months and rip this buggy apart and prep it for Y2 Sunfire Yellow like it left the factory. Obviously, after I do the mini tubs.

Stance/Suspension. Decided against doing much here either since I'm pretty much sold on the mini tubs idea. So, more on that later.

So other than a few engine checks and a good cleaning, I'll just consider this a driver until around end of September. And then we'll begin the restoration. However, I will be starting on a motor and collecting parts for the mini tubs. Like another 8-3/4 housing, wheels/tires, shocks, sway bar for the front,,etc etc,

Pictures as promised this weekend. Thanks for allowing me to ramble!

Hey Ted, I live in New York, land of taxes, your gas is still cheaper.

Hey Ted, I live in New York, land of taxes, your gas is still cheaper.
Uhm, negative! PA has the most expensive gas tax in the nation..LOL! $.13/gal higher than NY. I don't know if you lived here when this happened but they jacked the gas tax and said it would lower property taxes. It didn't. Then they sold the turnpike so it would lower property taxes. It didn't. Then they legalized gambling to lower property taxes. It didn't. Now, they're going to legalize recreational pot. It won't lower the property taxes either but they're counting on us being too stoned to care!!

Anyway, back to the build. Cam was spot on at TDC/.050 lift at the intake valve. Timing was WWWAAAYY off. Like 6 deg initial. I put it at 13deg and the the difference was night and day. Advance is a bit early but I can adjust that later. Adjust carb, set idle. Temperature runs around 200 at it's highest ambient to date which was about 95deg. Pinging at high load/max temp is gone. Had a bit more lifter/rocker noise than I'm used to with my cars. Except my solid lifter BMW. So off came the valve covers and I did notice the rocker arms have a LOT of side by side play so I ordered spacer kits. I'm going to check push rod length next...make sure I have the proper preload on the lifters. This big block sure retains heat!!

So tonight, I'm actually going to wash the car and post some pictures to follow along. But I have made some decisions;
I will be returning the car to it's original color, Y2 Sunfire Yellow and I will be keeping the big block. I'd love to be around 600hp after my stroker build. I will be doing a mini tub...which is why I picked 600hp. I don't know if the widest tires on mini tubs can transfer much more than that to the street? So my first task will be researching headers. That seems to be the issue with the Dart and big blocks. I have a nice set of Schumakers now but I'm reading they really don't have the greatest flow at higher hp. I just don't see the sense of losing 50hp with this build. So, my header research begins. Remember, my car had fender well headers at some point in it's "career". So I already have the cut-outs.

Any header suggestions, don't be afraid to preach!! I can modify them as well...for example, with fender well headers the collector seems to point down too much. I can fix that. Tube in the way or needs bent? I can fix that too.

Film at 11 along with the new objectives!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you! Sounds like you got a pretty cool car to start with. I look forward to seeing some pics! It sure does help to have a solid running driving car to start with!

Nice. Also looks like he updated it to BBP too by the looks of the rims. That saves ya some time and effort. Ditch the GM door lock knobs lol

Nice. Also looks like he updated it to BBP too by the looks of the rims. That saves ya some time and effort. Ditch the GM door lock knobs lol

Thanks for the observation...I'll unscrew the GM door locks as soon as I get home..LOL!! I just don't know that stuff...yet. Yes, car is original 340 auto GTS...converted to BB 440 with some decent CI heads, DC cam. Excellent drive-line mods.

65974.png

I was leaving Walgreen's and the driver of a black BMW let me out in traffic the other day.
And I made the green light because of it.
I took back everything bad I've ever said about Bimmer drivers.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
View attachment 1715364291

I was leaving Walgreen's and the driver of a black BMW let me out in traffic the other day.
And I made the green light because of it.
I took back everything bad I've ever said about Bimmer drivers.:thumbsup:

LOL!! My kind of music too! And thanks for saying "bimmers" and not "beamers". That bothers some fanatics....not me. Funny you should mention this...I'm pretty involved with road racing here on the east coast and up to last year, raced 10-12 events with my BMW's. I also drive a sprint car on dirt. It's a friggin' riot when I go to these events and see the opposite ends of the same spectrum. All love motorsports. All love vehicles. All love wringing out as much performance from a platform as possible. Each complain about the other!! If they only realized how much they all had in common it would be enlightening. Or, one hell of a fight..LOL!!!

No lie, I had to search on the Green Brick. But no, I'm not going to turn my GTS into a canyon cruiser.

If you searched that term, you may have missed this story and why I asked.

One Lap of America in a Plymouth Valiant

Besides no less than five ZR-1 ’Vettes and a megabuck 1996 AWD 911 factory Porsche Carerra, there were more M3 BMWs, Turbo Supras and 300ZXs than you could shake a stick at. More importantly, there were scads of manufacturer-entered cars with paid professional hotshoes behind the wheel.

If you searched that term, you may have missed this story and why I asked.

One Lap of America in a Plymouth Valiant

Besides no less than five ZR-1 ’Vettes and a megabuck 1996 AWD 911 factory Porsche Carerra, there were more M3 BMWs, Turbo Supras and 300ZXs than you could shake a stick at. More importantly, there were scads of manufacturer-entered cars with paid professional hotshoes behind the wheel.

Yup. Read that too. Sounds like fun.

Ok...time to get serious.

My next move needs to be to decide fender well headers or not. I want to buy tires/wheels but I cannot define that combo until I make the header decision. EVERYTHING depends on that choice. I mean no use doing bodywork and repairing the holes in the inner fenders if I'm going to use fender well headers. Can't run a big rim/tire front combo if I'm going to run fender well headers. I need to order rims/tires before I can do the mini tubs. But I can't order the combo and get maximum discount if I can't decide on the headers!! AAARRRGGHHH! Yes. Searching. Collecting information. Reaching into the depths of the internet!! This will require beverages. Yes. Many.

what about the "pro-part" headers? semi-fenderwell, some under and some out the fenderwell.
Thanks, seen some mention of them. But they appear to be out-of-business? Also, mad dog headers is another option but they also seem to be NLA. Searching, searching searching.....

Welcome from the frozen tundra. Check out TTI for some headers. May solve your fender dilemma. Ask me how I know. I just got done hanging new inner fenders on mine replacing old butchered ones from headers. What a great car you have to start from. Wow. Super nice. As many will tell you on here, pictures please or it didn't happen! Hah!

-
Back