TELL ME WHY WE DO THIS?!!!!!

-
I know why I do it, because my 340 Swinger is a badass ride ;) Well its gonna be when I get it back together (Doh!). Well ya know...I did have it on the road it was a lot of fun. Especially in the heat of summer with no A/C because Hot rods don't have A/C .....

Sorry guys I just had to vent a little. So I buy this 73 challenger 340 4spd supposably restored. It had a problem with the transmission which I knew about when I bought it but when I pull the transmission I found out someone had forgot to put oil in it and it is now it's complete trashView attachment 1715039028Check out the light behind the pilot bushing showing worn out the input shaft is.
View attachment 1715039029
So now I'm on lookout for another transmission which are pretty hard to come by in my area. I find one in the price is not so reasonable but it was in good shape it came out of a 68 Roadrunner. I knew I was going to have to change the tail shaft to work in the Challenger but what I didn't take into consideration as it has a larger input shaft bearing and now I find it won't work on my bellhousing!
View attachment 1715039030
Now I have to remove the bellhousing to get it machined to fit, and I noticed that one bolt is blocked by the oil filter. So now I have to drain the oil to get the bellhousing off. And to add insult to injury I can't get to one side of the car to remove the oil filter because I got too much junk in my garage and I have to move itView attachment 1715039038

Don't get me wrong I still love owning in working on these cars but sometimes I have to ask myself why do I do it:realcrazy:

Yea. Very good question. My answer is they are more fun do drive than work on them.
That's why I go for reliability over "performance" if that is my choice.
And I get frequent reinforcement at the gas station.
Not to pour salt in your wound, but your experience is why I would pay a premium on a car that needs of lots work and is basically original over a "restored" car.
That is despite what the "smart" money might do.
I.e. Buy one already "restored".
I'll never buy someone else's hot rod again that I can't tell what has been done to it.

Not to pour salt in your wound, but your experience is why I would pay a premium on a car that needs of lots work and is basically original over a "restored" car.
That is despite what the "smart" money might do.
I.e. Buy one already "restored".
I'll never buy someone else's hot rod again that I can't tell what has been done to it.

buying any old car that a PO has worked is always a crab shoot unless you know their abilities!! ha....... love it when they use grade 3 Chinese bolts from home depot! ha

I don't know what's gonna break next, but the why is simple, I'm pushing over 400 hp through a car that's nearly half a century old, THAT'S why
I have replaced everything between the bumpers, and even the front bumper on my fish, don`t know wheather to trust it or not yet !! lol

Why? - you know.. I think we all ask ourselves that once in a while - usually when it's not going quite as planned...:wtf: :BangHead::BangHead: :soapbox: .... - and then it starts, or moves, or stops... or works, or fits, or comes on... and you have that "F**KING RIGHT" moment - :thumbsup: :usflag:
- - and I know you know you know exactly what I mean.. that's why I do this - because I can and achieving that moment feels SO good.
~~~~ Hey, anyone wanna go for a ride? :steering: :thumbsup: :usflag:

100_3979a-jpg.1715031663

Last edited:
Why? - you know.. I think we all ask ourselves that once in a while - usually when it's not going quite as planned...:wtf: :BangHead::BangHead: :soapbox: .... - and then it starts, or moves, or stops... or works, or fits, or comes on... and you have that "F**KING RIGHT" moment - :thumbsup: :usflag:
- - and I know you know you know exactly what I mean.. that's why I do this - because I can and achieving that moment feels SO good.
~~~~ Hey, anyone wanna go for a ride? :steering: :thumbsup: :usflag:

100_3979a-jpg.1715031663

Well, let me rephrase that...why in the world did i not hook the A/C back up?

I did the drive thing, and I'm swimming in sweat
But once you hit about 85, those fresh air vents sure feel nice

The definition of insanity is buying another old mopar before you have even finished the last project.

The definition of insanity is buying another old mopar before you have even finished the last project.

ha! the good project always come along when you are not looking!!!!! the trick is to always run a "line of credit" with your spouse, so when you find that much needed extra project car, you just buy it without a consultation!!!!! it's all so easy!

-
Back