Temp and Fuel gauges trouble

-

beau1333

Reaction score
I am having trouble with my Temp and Fuel Gauges on my 71 Dart. The gauges are from a a duster or later model dart and everything was working, I took them out to clean them and when I reinstalled them the temp and fuel gauge no longer work. I check the continuity of the wiring harness and everything checks out. I as well checked the gauges when I had them out of the cluster and they checked out too. The only thing I can find that they share in common is the voltage regulator and a condenser seen it the attached pic. I have replace the voltage regulator and still no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to check the condenser pictured or a part number or info on this condenser. It is the only thing these two gauges share in common that I haven't checked or replaced yet. Trying to get these gauges to work again is driving me crazy. I am hoping someone has some suggestions or info that can help.

Attachments

• IMG_2038.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2037.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 158
Hi,

Sounds like a case of- if it's not broke don't fix it. By taking things a part something was damaged. First, did you reinstall the instrument cluster in the dash frame? It needs to be mounted in the frame for an electrical ground.

Next I would suspect the connector pins that are arranged in a circle. One or more pins may have broken contact between the pin and circuit board and will need to be carefully cleaned and re-soldered. If you don't know how to do that, do you know someone who works on electronic equipment that can help you?

There are other things you can test if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it and a factory service manual for wiring diagrams but, I would start with the two things above.

The gauges will work with or without the condenser (capacitor) it's just there to keep clicks and pops out of the radio.

The VR must be grounded. The condenser is only for radio noise. Input to VR is 12V to a ground point on the cluster (there's a common trace grounding all the illumination lamps, etc)

On my 67 there was "a whole bunch" of stuff wrong

Broken / loose connector pins, broken loose from the circuit traces

Loose / corroded nuts on the gauge connections.

On mine, the springy fingers that make the connection on the VR were not making contact with the board traces. I had to solder jumpers across to make contact

Also, it's a great idea ot connect a ground pigtail and bolt it to the dash frame

-
Back