Temp sender into Aluminum Tranny Pan

-

Dusterdenovo

Contentedly Old School
Reaction score
Going to be tapping an NPT hole in my Aluminum Tranny pan for a temperature sender. Speedhut supplied an adapter (3/8" NPT) to use with the Sender (1/8" NPT). I'm wondering if it is better to use the adapter with the sender or just use the sender by itself. Concerns are: optimal depth of sender into pan; adequate ground for sender with extra thread joint; potential for leaks; serviceability down the road i.e. replacing the sender if tapped right into pan etc.

Thoughts?
20171120_153854.jpg
20171120_153820.jpg

If the material thickness where you are putting it is less than about 3/8" the pipe threads will never seal. The big adapter will need even more material thickness to work. I agree welding on a bung is a good idea, no matter which fitting you use.

So I decided that I am going to stay with the chrome steel deep pan that the Tranny came with instead of the cast Aluminum one I was going to 'upgrade' to. I ordered the Derale plug from Summit today.

I think the Chrome pan flange will work better with the bracket for the B&M shifter cable too.

Thanks guys for the input.

20171020_205824_HDR.jpg

Good call I am always Leary of cast on the bottom of a vehicle one good rock or speed bump and CRACK!

-
Back