Temperature Gauge not working

-

mghikas

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Probably a silly question, but can someone tell me where my temp sending unit is located on my 340 Demon.
Cheers

Hello
Welcome to the A Body forum.
It is on the intake manifold, just to the right ( from a US passengers view) of the radiator hose, at the very front. it is electric, unless it is plugged, or has a different sender in its place. It should have a bluish, or purple 90* wire going to it. It is small.
I would go out, and take a pic, but its still winter here, and my cars are all tucked in for the winter.
Dave

Once you find the 'sending unit', here is how you can test the temp gauge. The way the gauge works is that current flows through the gauge and through the wire going to the 'sending unit'. Then, the amount of current flowing through the 'sending unit' to the ground (remember that the engine is grounded) is determined by the temperature of the engine. If the engine is cold, the 'sending unit' does not allow any current to flow through it, so there is also no current flowing through the gauge, so the needle will not move. The warmer the engine gets, the more current the 'sending unit' allows to flow through it, and the more the needle moves. To test the gauge, place a jumper wire on the end of the wire that hooks onto the 'sending unit'. Then with an assistant sitting in the car (and the key in the ON position), touch the jumper wire to a ground. If the gauge is working, the needle will move. Don't ground the wire too long. Once the assistant tells you it is moving stop the test. If it doesn't move, the gauge is likely bad. NOW, the reason I keep putting SENDING UNIT in quotes is because it does not really send anything. Temperature switch would actually be a better name.

Thanks Dave, appreciate the quick response, found it
Cheers
Hello
Welcome to the A Body forum.
It is on the intake manifold, just to the right ( from a US passengers view) of the radiator hose, at the very front. it is electric, unless it is plugged, or has a different sender in its place. It should have a bluish, or purple 90* wire going to it. It is small.
I would go out, and take a pic, but its still winter here, and my cars are all tucked in for the winter.
Dave[/QUOTE

Cheers mate, gauge is working, replaced sending unit and tested all working as it should now
Once you find the 'sending unit', here is how you can test the temp gauge. The way the gauge works is that current flows through the gauge and through the wire going to the 'sending unit'. Then, the amount of current flowing through the 'sending unit' to the ground (remember that the engine is grounded) is determined by the temperature of the engine. If the engine is cold, the 'sending unit' does not allow any current to flow through it, so there is also no current flowing through the gauge, so the needle will not move. The warmer the engine gets, the more current the 'sending unit' allows to flow through it, and the more the needle moves. To test the gauge, place a jumper wire on the end of the wire that hooks onto the 'sending unit'. Then with an assistant sitting in the car (and the key in the ON position), touch the jumper wire to a ground. If the gauge is working, the needle will move. Don't ground the wire too long. Once the assistant tells you it is moving stop the test. If it doesn't move, the gauge is likely bad. NOW, the reason I keep putting SENDING UNIT in quotes is because it does not really send anything. Temperature switch would actually be a better name.

-
Back