Tenant Rant

-

MOPARMITCH

Mekong Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So.. I have a very nice 1400 sf 2 bedroom, 2 full bath, laundry room, kitchen, Etc. apartment above my at home detached Auto Shop. Was renting to an old down and outer, and my son, last year, with no problems. The down and outer moved on, and my son bought a house nearby. So.. I found a young unmarried couple, say 21 and 23, She is pregnant. I decide that since I don't know them real well, I'll do a lease with them. Now , my property has 2 electric meters on it. 1 for the main house, and 1 for the Shop building. Since I run stuff out in the shop every day, I could never really tell how much power the downstairs uses versus the upstairs. When I first talked to them, AND when they signed the lease, I explained that the utilities would be included in their rent, as long as they were REASONABLE with their use.
So they sign the lease and move in March 1. Made him pay a security deposit. Now the rent on this apartment is below the going rate locally for such a nice place, utilities included.
When he comes and pays me for June, I ask him if the HVAC is working ok. He says yes. I say, you know, I keep my T stat on 76 in the summertime, in my house. What do you have that one set on. He says 71. I'm like WTH ?? That'll drive the electric bill way up, Remember you promised to be frugal. He says he'll turn it down. I wait about three days, And since I'm the owner, and it's legal, even in the lease, I go up there and check.. 68 degrees !!!!!
So I reset it and leave, but next day after they return, I hear it running constantly. I asked him about it when I next see him and explain what I expect. He says he'' turn it up to 74. I say ok.
So I got the bill for June, and it was somewhat higher than the year before, but I didn't bring it up. Enter the recent heatwave here at temps over 95. So now I'm a little concerned. So today, when they are not here, I go check the T stat. Set on 66 deg !!!!!!!!!!! WTH. I already have some pretty good ideas about how to solve the problem.
What say you all ??

A. Make the control inaccessible.
B. Tell him to cough up the approximate difference each month.

If he doesn't like it or wants you to be able to prove what they use, then add a meter and charge for over what you two agree is reasonable for both of you.
If he doesn't like that tell him to GTFO because you are not going to be financially responsible for their financially irresponsible.

Cut and dried and just the way it is, and if you are too nice of a guy to tell him I'll do it as your temp property manager.:D

i say you are using hard to define terms
you are dealing with a couple who are half your age, grew up in a different generation AND the girl is pregnant (that right there should send common sense packing)

i think you are out of luck
there is no way to tell if they are being frugal or not (for what its worth, i keep my thermostat set at 72 in the summer, 68 in the winter)

live and learn
see what the difference in electric is and add that to the rent next year (and then it will truly be included)

and, as an afterthought...are you legal to rent that out?

It's probably just the tip of the iceberg. - Sounds to me like they're the type that believe "No one can tell us what to do". If you were to tell them they couldn't have pets they'd probably get one and you'd have animal feces all over the carpeting. Sometimes being the nice guy and trying to nudge people into better behaviors can bite you in the butt.

Without being specific on what "REASONABLE" means it sort of left the door open to what they will do. I had nightmarish problems with a renter before. The more reasonable I tried to be - the more they took advantage. They went so far as to change locks so I couldn't access my own property even though I'd never entered without notifying them first. Eventually (after they'd failed to pay rent for 3 months) I tried to evict. They threatened to sue and my attorney told me it would be a crapshoot in the court system whether or not they'd win.

When they did finally leave they stole everything that wasn't bolted down and even some stuff that was.

Put a lock box on the thermostat, and tell them that ANY tampering will result in their eviction. You can't legally resell electricity to them for more than the power company charges you. Just put your foot down about the t stat setting, and tell them the next place your foot will be is on their *** while you're kicking them out the door! Good luck.

a rental increase notice - due to circumstances beyond my control the rental fee is going to increase as of... blah blah blah - or however you want to word it. Hopefully your lease agreement doesn't lock in the rental fee... or at least gives you some "wiggle" room.

Put a lock box on the thermostat, and tell them that ANY tampering will result in their eviction. You can't legally resell electricity to them for more than the power company charges you. Just put your foot down about the t stat setting, and tell them the next place your foot will be is on their *** while you're kicking them out the door! Good luck.

This!

I agree with the lockbox on the thermostat and this goes to show why I always make a tenant pay for utilities.

Now, just to be fair, if his wife is pregnant she's probably feeling like she is roasting all the time with the heater inside her. I know when my wife was pregnant during the Summer, she was always turning the temp down and I would find the t-stat as low as 62° sometimes. It's had to argue electricity cost with a pregnant woman who just wants to feel comfortable during the most physically uncomfortable time in her life.

I think you should talk to BOTH of them together in a nice way, concede a little of the responsibility for the fact that you were not very clear with your expectations...let them know you want a good relationship with them...and say, here's the deal, no lower than 72 while you're at home, and put it up to 78 while you're not at home. If you put a lock box on it without first trying to reason with them, they are going to be disgruntled.

Yup... pretty much all the options I was considering. She did have the Baby about 2 months ago. My wife was ok with 75-76 after all three of our kids. I think he is whipped by her and does what she says. That and Ignorance about the cost of utilities, since they are sooo young. I would have had them pay for utilities for that building, except that they would be paying for everything going in my shop as well. Think I'm gonna go the lock box and programmable by me only route. They really like the place, and only have a year lease. If they don't tighten up and git on board, I won't resign them. Got people from my Church wanting in there.

Put a few bucks out and move the T-Stat, into the lower apartment or shop. Then you will have full control. Putting a lock box on at this stage could be asking for damage to the apartment, when he pulls it of the wall. I don't know anything about US. law, but here in Canada a lease is a binding contract and both parties are obliged to follow its terms. Good luck, no matter what you decide to do.

glad I never been involved with such. reminds me of a neighbor, Stacie runs a bunch of cattle but his old dad had been being rural rental property for decades/ Stacie looks after some of it. he is a GM/Ford old car nut too. nice guy considering that. he got into some sort of debacle with a renter. it is assumed the renter came one night and burned down an abandoned house on the farm, AND a detached garage with a pretty decent old Ford stored within!

with your deal, I bet the kids have been raised "priviledged". she goes from huge and pregnant to the mother instinct cutting in. I would sit down and try to have a good honest conversation again explaining your side and viewpoint. YOU agareed to pay the electric bill and YOU informed them what you expect from them regarding the themistat! piss them off, and ya might cause trouble ya didn't need?? even if they are a couple of young urban nerds?? ha just my 2 cents.

If you came here, and hung with me,my wife would probably make me move in it also !!!:lol:
Sue would love me. I'm pretty self sufficient, i clean up after myself.. and i cook reasonably well... she might have a problem with some of the pool parties i throw together! Might remind Wolfie of the old days!

Not sure what the tenant rights are in your area. Here you could be charged with trespassing for not giving advance written notice before entering the premiss. Why I ran away from residential rentals and only did commercial. Less hassles.

Sue would love me. I'm pretty self sufficient, i clean up after myself.. and i cook reasonably well... she might have a problem with some of the pool parties i throw together! Might remind Wolfie of the old days!

Fun times but water is a rotten lubricant.

-
Back