Tents for campeing?

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well Cindy wants a new tent again,can anyone who has bought a tent in the past tell us what is a good one.She loves to camp every year so i tag along,give me some Vodka and all is great.:D.She went and bought a 8 man outlander from Canadian Tire we put it up and with in hour the screen was starting to fray,WAPOS.So help her out with something that is good,I would like to pay no more than 300 if able.

Not exactly a tent!

But if she likes a king size bed, 64 degrees temps and 3 HD TV'S then this is what you need!

I like to camp in comfort!

Have had a 8 person Cabin Style Coleman for about 5 years now, measures 13 X 9.5 feet, and is tall enough (80 inches total height in the center) that I can walk around 95% of it without brushing my head on the ceiling and a hinged door for easy entry and exit. Has more than enough room to stow your gear as well as a queen sized air mattress an still have open floor space to walk around inside. Even has an optional room divider but we don't use it.

I am with you,but she says a trailer is not campeing lol.

Yes camping is done with a tent not a hotel on wheels.

I've had good luck with my Coleman. North face makes really nice tents but cost more then a Coleman but you get what you pay for.

I am with you,but she says a trailer is not campeing lol.

My wife said the same thing until I bought an old pop up camper. $600
One night after up off the ground in a bed, she said "never again will I sleep in a tent"

Really depends on what sort of camping you do, where you do it, what seasons, etc.

My ideal tent a few years ago was probably not what you would want (under 2 lbs, slept 2, could sort of sit up in it, and fine for Arizona, but I wouldn't want to use it someplace where it snowed - though some people do).

Is it just for sleeping, or will you spend time in it while you're awake?
Do you want a tent you can stand up in? Play cards in it?
How many people need to fit?
Is it likely to be windy where you camp? a lot? (shape is more important when windy)

etc.

Really depends on what sort of camping you do, where you do it, what seasons, etc.

My ideal tent a few years ago was probably not what you would want (under 2 lbs, slept 2, could sort of sit up in it, and fine for Arizona, but I wouldn't want to use it someplace where it snowed - though some people do).

Is it likely to be windy where you camp? a lot? (shape is more important when windy)

etc.

X2. Asking what kind of tent you should get is like asking what kind of drill bit you should get.

Are you looking for a cheap tent that's good for the once a year trip? I would go with a Coleman. If you want something that is going to be used slot and hold up well and be comfortable in all weather you will be spending more. You can spend as much as you want but for a casual camper the Coleman should do great.

Best I've seen: [ame]http://youtu.be/gprMzIoG4bU[/ame] Or Google: Kodiak canvas tents. They're around $500 but do some research and look at reviews. These are made like a tent should be.

etc.[/QUOT Just for sleeping and 1 other thing:blob:Summer time campeing only once a year,there is wind for sure I like to be right on the water,going in 2 weeks so we have to get this sorted out.

I can't help you on tent shopping, but your wife sounds like a KEEPER!!!!! camping is about experiencing the d eal in the raw,,, a camper is not RAW!!!!! if people could understand the taste of food cooked over an open fire, or done in a dutch oven,, it would be another new world for them!?????
the cowboys in West Tx and other areas, on the BIG ranches, during he spring and fall that required working cattle, scattered over thousands of acres, follow the chuck wagon, sleep in teepees. yes there are still a few large old ranches that take out the wagon! bedrolls are the bed. the old cowboys used several quilts as their mattress. they had no air mattresses!!!
the teepee could be stood up in, no problem. it was used for sleeping, bout it.

We bought a big Agnes"big house 6"
We love it . its packs up in a nice bag I can put it up alone if necessary . one thing my wife learned she had to have was to be able to stand up to change. . she started to hate my old small tents .
Also has a vestibule option to hang out in or stow your stuff without dirtying the inside .
Its pretty big but handles the wind of the beach just fine. we love it

[/QUOT Just for sleeping and 1 other thing:blob:Summer time campeing only once a year,there is wind for sure I like to be right on the water,going in 2 weeks so we have to get this sorted out.[/QUOTE]

Maybe something like this? http://www.coleman.com/product/mont...ontextCategory=ModifiedDomeTents#.VZa9ImCLip0

How are the bugs where you are? Some of the somewhat larger tents have a screen room 'porch', so you can sit 'outside' and not get bugged.

I used to buy a Coleman Sundome about every other year (back when I did a lot more camping, and half of it wasn't backpacking, including, usually, a week at a Scout summer camp), but the last one I got, while about half the cost of 4 years before, had gotten so chincy that the poles were super thin - set it up one evening and the wind kicked up - went inside and the wind had the poles slapping me in the face - slap...slap...slap (picture the tent leaning over about 40% of the way). Got a REI Hobitat after that, but man...did that tent ever take forever to put up. Wouldn't really want to use that one for less than 3 or 4 nights - great tent, though.

Whatever you get, set it up in the back yard BEFORE you go, so you a) make sure you have all the parts and b) you know how to set it up before it's getting dark and threatening rain and it's windy and you've never tried to figure it out before and c) use your hose to make it rain on the tent - make sure it doesn't leak - last thing you want to do is find out at 2 in the morning that your tent isn't waterproof. You can buy seam sealer at the camping supply places, and some tents need it (paint it on the seams to seal them better).

Have a blast! And hope you get to use it for both purposes...a bunch!

Well we got a Coleman Grand Vally pics to follow,wish i could a ford the Kodiak thats the best i saw so far.

Here it be ,Cindy says thank you for all the help.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 121
  • sony pic 423.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 138
Looks nice - hit it with a hose and make sure it doesn't leak!

This will be the site I have book this year for Cindy and I .The last 2 pics were from last year was not to impressed with the site.

Attachments

• 043.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 044.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 107
This will be the site I have book this year for Cindy and I .The last 2 pics were from last year was not to impressed with the site.

Very nice when the site is so close to the lake, the breeze off the water :cheers:

Good looking tent!

My wife said the same thing until I bought an old pop up camper. $600
One night after up off the ground in a bed, she said "never again will I sleep in a tent"
For my wife it wasn't the sleeping on the ground, it was the first time she could cook out of the wind.

Best I've seen: http://youtu.be/gprMzIoG4bU Or Google: Kodiak canvas tents. They're around $500 but do some research and look at reviews. These are made like a tent should be.
Can I go camping with her?

Springbar tents, US made too!
http://springbar.com/

Well just enjoy.

My wife and I started in tents and I camped in the winter in tents in the NE for years when younger.

Now adays I want comfort no matter the weather and enjoy it just as much!

Well just enjoy.

My wife and I started in tents and I camped in the winter in tents in the NE for years when younger.

Now adays I want comfort no matter the weather and enjoy it just as much!

Thankssssssssssss will do .:D

-
Back