Testing electronic control module

-

flipfloppop

Reaction score
I have look and look but can't find.
How do I check a electronic control module to see if it is good or not?

Thanks for any help you have.

Some auto parts stores have a tester. Other than that I don't know unless you have a known good operating car, take off the good one and put the one in question on it.

connect one ohmmeter lead to a good ground and the other to pin no#5 on the ecm, if it shows continuity it's good, if not try cleaning the mounting surface to make sure you have a good ground to the ecm, and try again, if still no continuity, replace the ecm.

connect one ohmmeter lead to a good ground and the other to pin no#5 on the ecm, if it shows continuity it's good, if not try cleaning the mounting surface to make sure you have a good ground to the ecm, and try again, if still no continuity, replace the ecm.
Unfortunately that ignition box is pretty complicated internally. A one pin continuity check won't find most of the problems. Without a tester, substituting a known good one is the only alternative.

Unfortunately that ignition box is pretty complicated internally. A one pin continuity check won't find most of the problems. Without a tester, substituting a known good one is the only alternative.

I have to agree here! However the test Mac Daddy talks about is to see if the ECU is grounded to the chassis and is a good test "just for" that purpose!

Thanks for the help.
I forgot to put a jumper wire on the ballist resistor .
I got it running for now.
Thanks,
Roger

Thanks for the help.
I forgot to put a jumper wire on the ballist resistor .
I got it running for now.
Thanks,
Roger

A jumper wire on the ballast?? Do you mean you used a jumper wire to bypass the ballast resistor? If so your in for more problems. That'll fry the control module or coil, or both. If you have to jumper the ballast resistor to make it run the ballast resistor is bad.

I straightened that problem out by building myself a coil capped HEI and my engine bay is cleaner too.

A jumper wire on the ballast?? Do you mean you used a jumper wire to bypass the ballast resistor? If so your in for more problems. That'll fry the control module or coil, or both. If you have to jumper the ballast resistor to make it run the ballast resistor is bad.

No No I put the jumper wire on the two terminals on the end of the ballast.
This is all new wire I had no old wire so I had to make all new to get it running.
Thanks for the reply.

-
Back