Texas Gulf Coast Region Questions???

-

Done Swimmin

Reaction score
Hi All

Wife and I will be travelling your part of the country (McAllen to Beaumont) looking at vacation/retirement properties in Jan 2014.
I prefer small towns near the coast (1/2-1 hour drive from coast?) to big cities.

Will take suggestions to "stay away from..." as well as "go to..."

Any suggestions from our FABO brothers in Texas?

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

I would look at avoiding I the valley area of south texas right now for retirement property. Anything south of Baffin Bay/ Kingsville starts getting pretty rough. The cartels have really taken its toll on the area over the last 5 years and most of my family that lived down in the area is moving north.

The Rockport area is nice for retirement and really caters to the retirement crowd. The Galveston area is also nice but is still rebuilding from hurricane Katrina. I'm not a big Beaumont fan but to each his own on that.

Hi All

Wife and I will be travelling your part of the country (McAllen to Beaumont) looking at vacation/retirement properties in Jan 2014.
I prefer small towns near the coast (1/2-1 hour drive from coast?) to big cities.

Will take suggestions to "stay away from..." as well as "go to..."

Any suggestions from our FABO brothers in Texas?

Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete . My wife and I have spent the last 3 winters in the RGV and just love it . we are at a gated RV park in Donna TX about 15-20 min from McAllen south towards Brownsville if you like it warm almost all winter its a great place to go. I take my Harley and it is nice to be able to ride almost year around , are you RVing or planning to buy a retirement home if so I would plan on a gated community with security but that being said we have had no problems and plan on going down this winter . Good luck P.S. google Victoria Palms Resort and check out where we go .Bob Jones

Just got back home from a week in Rockport. We lived in Corpus Christi (actually across the bridge in Portland) for 5 years. I would not recommend anything south of Corpus if you ask me. It is getting worse by the day near the border to the point the reps for major companies are not allowed to wear company logos, use company credit cards or even say they are on business when checking into hotels south of Corpus.

We visited Corpus in about 2002 and loved it. We got the chance to move there in 2006. Within a year we knew the area had changed a LOT since 2002 and we were ready to move away. We stuck with it for 5 years and moved back NORTH!!! We have no regrets leaving at ALL.

Personally, I would suggest looking into buying an RV and living in an RV park for a year or two before you "commit" to something like a retirement condo. If you don't like the area or the park...hook up the RV and head out. If you decide you want to go to the mountains in the summer. Hook up the RV and head that way. No worries about the lawn, the bills back home. You just leave and don't look back. My inlaws are retired RVers and have been in Rockport for several years now. When they first started the RV life they would travel all the time. Now they manage a camp ground (Retirement RV park) in Rockport.

High, names Bob, live int he small town of Cuero, Texas, population about 7,000. We are about 60 miles inland from the gulf as the crow flies, easy one hour drive. The town is situated in the Guadalupe River valley in Dewitt County. We are currently experiencing an economic boom due to the Eagleford oil play in this part of the state. Friendly town, several cafes, hotels, travel trailer and RV parks, museums, churches, etc. You'd be welcome if you should decide to come. this is the county seat also. Good luck and good traveling. One last note, I too would stay away from deep in the valley, say anywhere south of Corpus Christi. No personal experience but it seems common knowledge in these parts you stay outa that area. Shame too, used to love driving down to McAllen, Brownsville, Laredo staying in lovely hotels and going across the border to shop and or dine. Not anymore if you value your life. God bless.

-
Back