Texas Registration

-

SkaggsMan

Reaction score
Greetins A Bodies,

I have a question to all of you that are from Texas.
Next year I will be relocating to Fort Bliss, and I would like here some first hand experiences on how difficult it was to register and inspect your classic A-Body.
Here in South Carolina I just showed the DMV a bill of sale and 25 bucks later I was on the road with plates.
I have been reading up on the Texas DMV website and it states they will only do a safety inspection, not emissions. I know in California if your vehicle is before 71 you don't have SMOG inspection.

I just don't want my 65 dart sitting in a garage for the next 3 years.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :-k

get classic plates and no inspection and they are good for 5 years....there is suppose to be some restrictions on useage those...can't remember what. Is this a daily driver or just a weekend car? I run classic plates and classic car ins.

Regular plates only require a safety inspection.

How long will you be in Texas? or do you know?

Welcome to Texas and thanks for your service.

It's not difficult, and they will only inspect for original equipment functioning properly and in good condition.

That said, do you have to register the car in Texas? Unless things have changed since I was in, you can keep it registered in your home state until you complete your service.

Military service members are good with registration from their home state.

Generally Classic plates in texas are supposed to be limited to # of miles driven each year. I.E. it cannot be used as a daily driver.

Safety inspeciton only, horn must work blinkers etc.

Thank you all for answering my concerns,
I have the basics to pass a safety inspection. "as long as they dont care about seat belts in the back" :)

Na doubt they will look that closely especially with the year. They arent required in antiques in texas (if it was original equipment but whos to say)

The first inspection of my '64 passed with no seatbelts in front or back, as they were optional equipment that year. The inspector never questioned it.

I was in Texas in 1991 on temporay assignment (USAF) and bought a 69 camaro. Got an insurance card from NY and went to the Texas version of DMV. Now in NY, to register, You need a permanent address.....had a room number in Texas....I had no problems there and the people were so friendly I wished I could move to Texas. Couldn't do enough for Me...in and out ..under 10 minutes.....AND

on another topic....the locals ,mostly, in western NY like to look at a classic car until they think they find a flaw or so and are quick to announce it....like winning a game show..(like an owner needs to be reminded where the flaws are...duh...WE KNOW !!).Went to a bunch of cruises in Texas and a person could drive in with a real "pos" (and some did ) and nothing said...unless positive...

You should have no problems

I pay like 70 bucks for three years with the classic plates on two cars. The registration for your car coming from another state is going to cost you more. What kills you is buying a car in another state and bringing here. Then you pay 6.25% state sales tax.

There are two kinds of plates. The Classic plates have unlimited mileage, but require an annual safety inspection.
The Antique plates are restricted to and from meetings, events, and maintenance.
There's actually a third plate that would be a Texas plate set inspected by DPS for the model year of your car and has the same restrictions as the Antique plates.
Some counties in Texas are "EPA Non-Attainment Areas" due to smog levels. Any car or light duty truck registered in those counties is required to have a smog inspection unless the vehicle is 25 or more years old.
Check to see if the county wants to collect sales tax on the car. I had a problem in Austin when I was in the service and remained a Florida resident as a result.
The guys who say you can keep you car registered in your home state while you are in the service are right. Check with JAG to see what you can declare on this one. Rules may have changed since I was in and I wouldn't want to mislead you.

Greetins A Bodies,

I have a question to all of you that are from Texas.
Next year I will be relocating to Fort Bliss, and I would like here some first hand experiences on how difficult it was to register and inspect your classic A-Body.
Here in South Carolina I just showed the DMV a bill of sale and 25 bucks later I was on the road with plates.
I have been reading up on the Texas DMV website and it states they will only do a safety inspection, not emissions. I know in California if your vehicle is before 71 you don't have SMOG inspection.

I just don't want my 65 dart sitting in a garage for the next 3 years.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :-k
I live in Austin ,TX and we are an emission county and I run an inspection station.
The only emission cities are El Paso,Dallas, Houston and Austin.
Texas law any vehicle older than 24 years old is exempt from emissions !!!
(1987 and older at this time)
All other cities are Safety Inspections for ALL VEHICLES !!!
If you were to bring a car from out to state to register or transfer title you must have it inspected first and get an out of state certificate (VI=30)
In your case the Safety Inspection is $14.50 and the Out Of State Certificate (VI-30) is $1.00.....$15.50 TOTAL.
You must have liability insurance that meets Texas requirement to inspect.

If you are transfer to Texas title ,I could see having to pay a Sale tax...but not really you ain't buying it you already own it.
Just register it in Texas and leave the title as it is in what ever state it is title.
Antique Plates have to drive less than 3000 miles a year and must be driving only to car shows or to and from mechanic shop or parts store.
No Inspection required except for the first time if coming from out of state.
Classic Plate are just another form of personal plates and require annual Inspection and no restrictions.
Regular plates are the way to go with annual Inspections and cost less.
Plates are free and you pay for the registration tag in the front window every year and about $60.00.......
Bottom line just get insurance here in Texas....Register it here in Texas...Leave the title alone....(main reason is you want to leave the title in your present home state and you are not permanent resident,,,Military)

Get it inspected and get regular plates and you are good to go.
Welcome to Texas and THANK YOU for your service,
Martin
P.S.PM me with any questions.
Back seat belts are not inspect-able...not needed...They can issue a ticket for not wearing them in the back seat but not needed for Inspection.
(Also would not hold up in court...)

I double checked and I am running Antique classic plates and I am probably limited to 3000 miles a year but my tags are 70 bucks for three years and whom is going to check your mileage. I have no yearly inspections nor an inspection sticker.

-
Back