Tf2 kit questions on a 904

-

tanis4457

Reaction score
F9F58145-83D5-4AF8-9114-EF9281D36D45.jpeg
AEAA8BE6-F0D4-4C54-8E47-01BDFA0B20BF.jpeg
had a tranny shop rebuild my 904 and do the tf2 while they were at it a while ago. I have a ratchet shifter and haven’t been able to get the 1-2 shift to be quick like the 2-3 shift. I took out the valve body today and was looking things over to see if there was an issue and I found the tv spring was incorrect per the tf2 instructions and the “B” section of my 1-2 governor valve not ground. I’m to grind that down per the instructions but the instructions say to use the yellow or pink spring for the tv, why do you choose one or the other? Thanks

If I'm not mistaken one spring will be the same diameter as the one that you originally pulled out. But unfortunately you didn't originally pull the original one out. Hopefully they left you with the original one?

If I'm not mistaken one spring will be the same diameter as the one that you originally pulled out. But unfortunately you didn't originally pull the original one out. Hopefully they left you with the original one?

Unfortunately no it was a while ago. It’s a 66 valve body according to the stamping on it, 904 came out of my 67 dart, so maybe original to car? Just for more info when I originally got the trans in and was testing, I had to back off my kickdown linkage to improve the shifts the 2-3 shifts improved a lot but the 1-2 still feels lazy to me. Guess I should match it up to the white and see what’s closest.

Have u checked the band settings yet?Is there a restrictor plug in the case for the high gear apply passage? How many turns from flush would u say the line pressure is adjusted to? Count the threads. Shifting is influenced by how much clearance is built into the clutch packs. The land on the governor should be ground down. The tv valve should be ground down, but it really not nessassary. Kim

View attachment 1715343426 View attachment 1715343427 had a tranny shop rebuild my 904 and do the tf2 while they were at it a while ago. I have a ratchet shifter and haven’t been able to get the 1-2 shift to be quick like the 2-3 shift. I took out the valve body today and was looking things over to see if there was an issue and I found the tv spring was incorrect per the tf2 instructions and the “B” section of my 1-2 governor valve not ground. I’m to grind that down per the instructions but the instructions say to use the yellow or pink spring for the tv, why do you choose one or the other? Thanks
The piece that you're holding by the fingertips. I was looking at these for the instructions and had ground there's like a lathe and tapered it and was having problems and I can see yours is ground down but not enough possibly? I'm going to look at the instructions again but I believe that piece needs to be ground down to the width of the piece that you're holding?
Screenshot_20190526-103139.png

Have u checked the band settings yet?Is there a restrictor plug in the case for the high gear apply passage? How many turns from flush would u say the line pressure is adjusted to? Count the threads. Shifting is influenced by how much clearance is built into the clutch packs. The land on the governor should be ground down. The tv valve should be ground down, but it really not nessassary. Kim
Band settings are good, no restrictor plug isn’t that for 727s? This is a 904. I didn’t catch the line pressure adjustment on the valve body before I took it apart. I have since reassembled the valve body with the necessary changes and made the tab flush per the instructions. Going to talk to a coworker about using his lathe to grind the governor down. Will keep you posted with results. Thanks

The piece that you're holding by the fingertips. I was looking at these for the instructions and had ground there's like a lathe and tapered it and was having problems and I can see yours is ground down but not enough possibly? I'm going to look at the instructions again but I believe that piece needs to be ground down to the width of the piece that you're holding?View attachment 1715343603
Yeah I’m going to get that governor ground down in that spot going to talk to coworker about using his lathe. I’ll keep you posted upon assembly.

but the instructions say to use the yellow or pink spring for the tv, why do you choose one or the other? Thanks
There are 2 different throttle valves & plungers for the valve body differing in diameter. I think it depends on the year of manufacture. So you use the yellow or pink spring, whichever one is the same diameter as the original.

There are 2 different throttle valves & plungers for the valve body differing in diameter. I think it depends on the year of manufacture. So you use the yellow or pink spring, whichever one is the same diameter as the original.

Thanks, I ended up using the pink one as the yellow was too big.

It would be interesting to know how many turns it took to make the tab flush. That shop was so sloppy with the shift kit; I'm wondering how accurate they were with the direct clutch clearance.

call DAVE at transgo phone number on your instructions
or use internet to get office and they will transfer you when you ask for DAVE
Dave is gone this week- back in a week
make sure you give him the date of the valve body and 904

Took the dart out for a spin today, definite improvement on the 1-2 shift almost as quick as my 2-3 but at this point I’m happy. All that I did to improve things was grind the 1-2 governor down, installed the pink spring, set the line pressure a little higher than flush on the valve body per the trans go instructions and dialed in the Lokar kickdown linkage. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

-
Back