TF3 shift kit governor issue

-

NoahSewal

Reaction score
I am installing the TF3 transgo manual shift kit into my 727 and i've ran into a problem with my 1-2 governor valve. the picture i've included is from the instructions for the Tf2 shift kit and it says don't modify the governor if it looks like the one i've circled, but says nothing about this in the TF3. the problem is that my governor looks like the one circled but in the TF3 instructions it doesn't mention what to do if that's your governor. anyone have any input?

IMG_3673.jpeg

Only guessing here, but the TF3 is a full manual kit. I suspect the 1-2 governor function will be disabled in a man shift trans, so it's shape does not matter.

Actually, the TF3 is unique in that is still makes use of the the governor. You can either connect the TV linkage or wire it to constant full pressure on the transmission TV lever.

@Corrupt-Reverend shows modifying it in these directions he posted
How to Install a TransGo TF-3 Manual Valve Body Kit in a A-904
in his directions he's got the governor shown in the bottom of the picture that i provided. while i've got the one shown at the top where it says to not modify if it's that style. but like i said that's the directions for the TF2 kit not the TF3 so i don't know if i should just modify it like they say or if i can skip modifying it

You have to put the governor in a lathe and machine it down. I remember that, did one twenty years ago. Right under the valve you circled shows how to modify it. If your machine shop won’t do it. Find a gun smith they can take that down pretty easily

My Transgo TF Man shift kit instructions are dated 1976. Says to proceed with TF2 kit & use 1-2 gov valve included in THAT kit. Fig 11, p. 9 in the TF1-2 kit.
Two types of valves are shown, both need grinding, no machining reqd in a lathe.

I have instructions at home so I can look on Monday night. I don’t think u need to modify it as when u drill the bottom half of the vb for the plate u r there for creating the manual shift then. Grinding the valve on the TGB-2 kit is so u can shift to low at any speed u want. Even at 100 mph. Just realize that ur low gear is 2.5 times that of high gear so what ever rpm the motor is at in high gear when u shift to low rpm will be multiplied 2.5 times. Ex 3000 rpm times 2.5 is 7500rpm. Your TGB-3 will go to low at any speed as well. Kim

-
Back