Thanks FABO, still need one more piece...

-

Serj22

Reaction score
Thank you 65 dartman, and whitepunkonnitro, I have successfully obtained all the pieces to swap this intake.

The bbd carb is rebuilt, and rebushed, the air cleaner assembly is here, the intake and exhaust are cleaned, blasted, and ready to go. Got all the gaskets I need too. Just need bolts for everything, then a good resurface on all the openings to kick the overspray off, and the stupid kickdown. Ebay has been dry of them for a while and they don't exist in junkyards out here as far as I can see...
1200 degree paint on everything, except the air cleaner, which is just 500* paint.

Just saying thanks guys, got everything I need, minus one piece, and ebay supplied the decal for my free air cleaner for $10.00.

What a difference a little paint made on that air cleaner!

I don't know if its going to make a difference but you might want to lightly sand the mating surfaces of the intake and exhaust so you get a good seal with a gasket.

Looks great!! :headbang:

I don't know if its going to make a difference but you might want to lightly sand the mating surfaces of the intake and exhaust so you get a good seal with a gasket.

Looks great!! :headbang:
I was going to do it anyway just to be sure when I resurface everything. No more than 5 minutes more of work.

What a difference a little paint made on that air cleaner!

Don, there was definitly some rust, that had to be dealt with, and I got rid of what I could, and cut out the rest (mostly on the lip, but it'll be fine). For free, I think it looks damn good now and still the best deal on the web. The decal helps dress it off too.

Anyone know the 3 bolts sizes I need off the top of their head to mate the manifolds? If not I'm draggin em in to the hardware store to do it the hard way. Going grade 8 on these. Then I'll need 4 for the carb, unless it was studs? and a wing nut and washer for the carbeurator.

One of the folks over on /6.org drills the threads out of the third hole (the most inboard one) and uses a longer bolt, lock washer and nut. Seems he's had bad luck with that stock method not wanting to come apart. I think stainless might be a better choice than grade 8, and don't forget the anti-seize! The wing not is 1/4" X 20 and the washer is 1/4 inside.

I got everything bolted together fairly easily, and reused the foremost hole without incident and the bolts should survive hopefully. I forgot to get the wingnut, but I will grab one. I went to mount the carb today just for fun, and noticed the throttle would not open more than 1/4". What I noted is the bottom of the lever hits the intake manifold and stops. It seems the carb needs to sit 1/2" higher above the manifold, or the manifold needs to be ground down. I have the gasket in place as well. Clearance seems wrong to me. Am I missing another component? I would assume the carb is supposed to just sit on top as is. It is a 318 version, but would that matter?

I got everything bolted together fairly easily, and reused the foremost hole without incident and the bolts should survive hopefully. I forgot to get the wingnut, but I will grab one. I went to mount the carb today just for fun, and noticed the throttle would not open more than 1/4". What I noted is the bottom of the lever hits the intake manifold and stops. It seems the carb needs to sit 1/2" higher above the manifold, or the manifold needs to be ground down. I have the gasket in place as well. Clearance seems wrong to me. Am I missing another component? I would assume the carb is supposed to just sit on top as is. It is a 318 version, but would that matter?
I would just get a 1" carb spacer and call it done.

Man that looks awesome. I think that look will get more people looking towards the leaning tower of power. A work of art.

I would just get a 1" carb spacer and call it done.

None that I have found have the two holes in the center between the throttle openings. Would that matter? And they're all $30, which is more than I paid for the carb. But if that's what it is...

Have you found the one on Dashman? They have 1/4 inch spacers for 30.00 made for the holley 2300. But states that it will fit other carb. models.

Have you found the one on Dashman? They have 1/4 inch spacers for 30.00 made for the holley 2300. But states that it will fit other carb. models.

I thought carter's and holley's were usually similar bases? I've found a lot at about $30, and that seems to be the going rate for them. I'm still puzzled as to why the carberator doesn't mount to the intake manifold it was meant to bolt to..

I'm still puzzled as to why the carberator doesn't mount to the intake manifold it was meant to bolt to..

Got a picture? I could also take a pic of the slant with a Super Six in my 87 D100 and a slant with a Super Six in my basement.

sent from my iPhone

Got a picture? I could also take a pic of the slant with a Super Six in my 87 D100 and a slant with a Super Six in my basement.

sent from my iPhone

The arm that attaches to the fuel pump and also has the set screws on it contacts the back half of the intake manifold on the same surface plane that the carb gasket sits on.

Ignore the bolt sitting in the extra vacuum outlet, it was just so I could find it for the carb later.

See the lower part of the arm is in contact with the intake to the right of the bolt? I keep moving it around, and in order to get clearance, it needs to sit up at least another 1/2" or more. The gaskets I have don't raise it that far unless I stack all of them together, which they are for two different styles, and the only riser I have is rubbery plastic with a giant oval cut in it, rather than the two barrel holes, which leads me to believe I'm either missing a piece, or doing something completely wrong. Based on what I've found this is a 318 carb, but the slant6.org writeup on converting only talks about changing the choke arm. Nothing about modifying this arm as far as I can see. And 65 dartman, pictures would be great.

Otherwise everything I have looks great...

You need the super-six base gasket FEL-PRO Part # 60188. It is much thicker than the V-8 variety you are currently using.

Waguy is right. 60188 is the gasket you need on a Super Six. The write up at Slantsix.org does talk about this.

I've read it a few times, apparently I missed it. OK, I will hit the parts stores then. Thanks guys.

Edit: wait a second, I looked up a photo of the gasket (Fel-pro 60188). I have this gasket, it came with the carb rebuild kit. But it has that large oval shape, instead of the two round barrels. The intake has the 2bbl shape as well, does this not matter? It will work? It just seems like there'd be a weird airspace in-between the carb and the intake manifold due to the different shape.

Edit: Well I installed the other gasket I had and it did give the clearance necessary.

Well ,if it works, then I'll use it. No problem. Just wasn't sure.

I'm still hunting a solution to the kickdown since I can't find it. I'm not 100% on what the issue is that needs to be overcome - I.E. a bend here, or a longer this or that - and slantsix.org has 100s of threads on supersix conversions. None I could find on modifying the single B kickdown. But there are lots on getting one off a mid 90's Dakota. So I guess I might be able to find one of those in a junkyard here. Pick'n'pull here is bound to have one I would think.

If you still looking for the Super Six kickdown linkage, one just popped up on eBay - item number 281173284213 starting bid of $75 BIN $100.www.ebay.com/itm/281173284213?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I saw it earlier this morning, but it does not have the bracket to mount it, which seems to be the main problem in this swap. I am actually going to attempt the swap this friday. my dad has maintained an attitude that "if you need the ******* thing to kick the gear down, I can bend some **** and it will work, I've done it on other **** before"

So I'm confident he has just informed me we can fabricate a way to use the old kickdown, or make it work. We'll see... he could be wrong and I'll end up buying one.

well if you decide to get the one on ebay I have an extra mounting bracket I would send ya for free....let me know what you decide as i'm watchin the ebay auction as well to complete what I have???

well if you decide to get the one on ebay I have an extra mounting bracket I would send ya for free....let me know what you decide as i'm watchin the ebay auction as well to complete what I have???
I may take you up on that. Still watching the auction. Last one I found got ripped from under me at the last 6 seconds.

-
Back