That was easy!

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
I had to replace the heater core in my Duster.
OK, so I had intended to take pictures and document the process as I went along, but I got to flying along.
It's incredibly easy! I think the worst part of the job was rehanging the "J" hook and trying to run the nut back on. Could have used a extra hand for that, but I worked it out okay.
I bought a replacement heater core form Rock Auto, I did buy the higher end core and paid a few bucks more. They had a brass and aluminum core. I went with brass, and glad I did. That core went in like it was made for it! Best advice I can give anyone, take the glovebox out, have some dum dum handy.
Needless to say, I got so involved with this, that I totally forgot to take pictures. The whole job, with me cleaning out the heater box, took right at an hour. I've never done a heater core in an "A" body, but I did replace a A/C evap in my Dart. That was a job and the reason I thought I might take pictures.
The gist of the post, "go for it!"

What year it it ive been tossing around the idea of doing mine on my 63 but i dont even know where to start and my FSM doesnt have much of a description in it.

Feels good when things go smoothly eh?Its a rare ococcurrence with me. Congrats!
I agree with upgrading for the few bucks too.

What year it it ive been tossing around the idea of doing mine on my 63 but i dont even know where to start and my FSM doesnt have much of a description in it.
It's a 74. I'm fortunate that I do own factory service manuals. The service manual has little more than a paragraph. In fact, radio removal was more in depth. That was why I intended to take pictures. But as I got to taking things apart, for a change, it just went well.

It's a 74. I'm fortunate that I do own factory service manuals. The service manual has little more than a paragraph. In fact, radio removal was more in depth. That was why I intended to take pictures. But as I got to taking things apart, for a change, it just went well.

Early 70's with no air are about as easy as it gets I think.
I put a coffee can under the box so I could go out under the hood and get the nuts started on the blower housing.
Then did the hook, but yea it's bit of a dexterity test doing it by yourself isn't it? :D

I wonder if I could get heat in the duster by replacing the core?
When I pulled the old engine I noticed somehow had shoved an Allen head bolt up one of the hoses...presumably to fix/stop/hide a coolant leak in the core

When I dropped in the new engine I never bothered hooking the core back up since I figured it leaks anyway

I wonder if I could get heat in the duster by replacing the core?
When I pulled the old engine I noticed somehow had shoved an Allen head bolt up one of the hoses...presumably to fix/stop/hide a coolant leak in the core

When I dropped in the new engine I never bothered hooking the core back up since I figured it leaks anyway
I'd say it's worth a shot. The new core cost me $52 with shipping, and it took just a little over an hour to completely do the job.

i did mine a year ago. While the heater box is out, it's a great time to do the wiper pivot seals.
IMG_1255.JPG

I'd say it's worth a shot. The new core cost me $52 with shipping, and it took just a little over an hour to completely do the job.

Definitely sounds worth a shot
I would like having heat in the early spring, late fall

i did mine a year ago. While the heater box is out, it's a great time to do the wiper pivot seals. View attachment 1714996718

Lol, this is snowballing...but I do have water coming in when it pours...and I think it may be the wiper pivot seals

DO you guys have any partnumbers?

Definitely sounds worth a shot
I would like having heat in the early spring, late fall

Lol, this is snowballing...but I do have water coming in when it pours...and I think it may be the wiper pivot seals

DO you guys have any partnumbers?
Water pouring in sounds like pivot seals for sure.
I was going to replace my wiper pivot seals too, but the PO must have done this. They look pretty good.
I don't have a water problem now that the core has been replaced.
I have an extra pivot seal kit that I bought this past summer. If you want it, I think I have maybe $15 in it.
BTW, heat is not over rated! It's cold outside!

No if only someone would send me a heater core for Christmas..... :D I've got a few projects to do on my Duster this winter but gotta wait till we get some income again after New Years... Haven't gotten a pay check since September so no money for car parts right now....

-
Back