The '68 E.F.I. Dart's fuel system...

-

Mark Nixon

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Here's an outline of what I did to get fuel to the E.F.I. 360 in my '68 Dart Sedan:

The Magnum injection system uses a pressure bypass (bleed off) port at the pump, which means whatever residual pressure is directled at the fuel injectors at full force (@ 60 PSI).
The bleed off port is for both pressure bleed-off and helps to cool the pump, somewhat, by recirculating fuel through it constantly.
The fact that the pump is also immersed totally in gasoline also helps to keep it cool, per the factory's design.

My approach to the pump issue was as cheap as it was simple and is outlined as follows:

I removed the Magnum fuel pump from the stock ('93 Dodge van) tank's "basket", added a debris screen (To keep larger debris from possibly plugging the inlet orifice), then I took the STOCK '68 sending unit and cut the pick-up tube just before the last bend prior to the seal ring.
I then used a piece of short high pressure line, rated for fuel injection, to connect the pump into the modified sending unit's pick-up.
I allowed the pump motor to suspend from the fuel line, as it's plenty strong to do so and it hits the bottom of the tank at a satisfactory angle.

After getting the wire length I wanted on the pump motor, I drilled a 1/4" hole through the sender ring (seal ring), then passed the wires through the seal ring. After checking that I had the correct amount of wire extra, I sealed where the wires come through the seal ring with a product called "Quick Steel", which is impervious to gasoline.

After all that, it was as simple as carefully installing it into the tank and tapping the lock ring into position and it even retains the stock sender unit!

I maintained the stock, original line from the tank clear to the original filter, except that I carefully bent the engine end of the line to route up the firewal, by the heater blower motor, then added a length of steel line (Using F.I. rubber line) to it to tie into the fuel rail.
The fuel filter is a stock style for the typical Mopar application and was tied into the system at the line splice mentioned above.

The car starts, runs and is driveable with this way of feeding it, though I still have to get the car's issues sorted out.

Mark.

I think I would wrap the pump in some sort of rubber insulation though as just laying on the tank floor is bound to wear a hole in it.

-
Back