The 70 Duster......

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
This is my 70 Duster that I bought in 2005. My Dad and I found the car while out looking for parts for my 71 Dart that I was working on. Here is the "as found pic"

FoundADuster.jpg

were is it? lol post some better pics and get it started we need to see it and good luck

not bad at all looks really solid that will be a great car all done

Then last week I decided that it was time to get started. I got in touch with a bodyman/painter that was wanting a project to tackle so we made arrangements to get started on the Duster.

Duster1.jpg

you definaly have your work cut out for you but it will be fun atleast it is not rotted like mine

you definaly have your work cut out for you but it will be fun atleast it is not rotted like mine

Fun is the name of the game! It will not be a perfect 100% correct resto. I am not the one doing the work on the car. I wish I was, however I live about 700 miles away from where I keep my cars. I am letting the bodyman/painter do the car. He has subcontracted a glass shop to remove all the glass and re-install it once we get to that point. My Dad and one of my brothers removed the /6 and transmission and took the car back to the painter.

I have tons of questions that will be asked during this project, so please bear with me.

The intent is to change the car to a V8 with the 73 spool K member and upgrade to disc brakes. The column shift will be pulled and bucket seats and console shift automatic will be installed. I am still looking for a rallye dash and an 8 3/4 for the car.

I will start my questions with the following......

1) I am having the bodyman transfer the console brackets from a floor pan cutout that I got a few years ago. The bodyman is wanting to know the correct dimension/spacing of the front of the console to the dash. Can someone please measure their car and let me know? He just wants to double check before he spot welds the brackets in place.

2) What color were the heater blower motors from the factory?

3) Does anyone have a picture of a correctly redone wiper motor?

4) bumpers...Has anyone purchased the 1970 reproduction bumpers listed on Egag? How was the fit and finish? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item53dbe7a09a

This is a picture of the wiper motor and blower motor that has been restored.This is a picture of a 1970 Duster with A/C. I recently finished the restoration of my 1970 Duster.In my case I tried to refinish as many of the old parts as I could to save problems with fitment issues.Such as the bumper if they are not to beat up they can be re chromed.Hope this helps.

IMG_1658.JPG

Thanks for the info on the motors.

Tomorrow is going to be a hard day for me. The ONE part of these restos that just make me ill, the dash and all the wiring harness coming out. I decided that since I will be changing the column to a floor shift column and I need a new dash pad it would be just as easy to have the dash pulled so we could inspect all the wires and install a dash pad with the frame out of the car. Ever since I have been into cars, the dash removal has just made me cringe....time to face my fears!! lol

Anyone know where to get the correct paint for the dash frames?

Hi, I am glad to see that you are able to start on the Duster now. A while back I saw it on another site and considered offering a trade because it is such a solid project car; but I know that you will do it right, after seeing all of the Dart pictures. God bless you. Wayne

Hi, I am glad to see that you are able to start on the Duster now. A while back I saw it on another site and considered offering a trade because it is such a solid project car; but I know that you will do it right, after seeing all of the Dart pictures. God bless you. Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Yes I did offer up the Duster along with 2 other cars for trade on a 70 Charger. I was out of room in the shop and needed some space so I figured I would try to turn 3 into 1. One of the cars (71 Satellite) ended up getting sold so I figured I would send the Duster off to get some work done on it. My main goal is to get it done quicker than the Dart project. The Dart took 4 years to finish. Hopefully the Duster will be done in 1 year! But I am not going rush it just to be done.

Had a slight delay in forward progress today. The console shifter bracket transfer is not going to smoothly but will be back on track pretty soon. Just a minor glitch and we should be sailing again soon. The dash frame was removed today so we could inspect the wiring harness and replace the dash pad with the frame out of the car. Now that is all out I am going to try to locate the correct finish for the dash frame and have that re-sprayed. What is the correct method on the Dash VIN?? I don't want to paint over it but it is faded and the Chrysler writing and logo are faded.

In other news.....the color samples arrived today!! Which one is the winner......?

FJ6-FJ5.JPG

10/20/2009 - I got the correct dash paint ordered from Mike Mancini today. I also ordered the lower 1/4 panel patch panels from AMD. The car only needs a patch about 6 inches long and maybe 3-4 inches just behind the rear wheel but I figured I would order the patch panels and give the bodyman extra metal to work with. Now I am putting together a list of all the weatherstrip that I will need. Please let me know if you see anything that I missed.

roof rail weatherstrip (dr and pass)
door glass weatherstrip (outside and inside)
door opening weatherstrip (dr and pass)
1/4 glass weatherstrip (dr and pass)
front windshield rubber with locking strip
rear glass weatherstrip with locking strip
trunk weatherstrip
hood to cowl seal
hood to radiator core seal
body bumper kit
tail light gasket kit

under dash insulation kit

Any other gaskets that I should look for...
plan to order door handles when I get that far so those will have new gaskets

Thanks. I have a jar full of those. I am pretty sure I can make a complete kit from those. Of course when the time comes I will probably end missing one or two.

Had a slight delay in forward progress today. The console shifter bracket transfer is not going to smoothly but will be back on track pretty soon. Just a minor glitch and we should be sailing again soon. The dash frame was removed today so we could inspect the wiring harness and replace the dash pad with the frame out of the car. Now that is all out I am going to try to locate the correct finish for the dash frame and have that re-sprayed. What is the correct method on the Dash VIN?? I don't want to paint over it but it is faded and the Chrysler writing and logo are faded.

In other news.....the color samples arrived today!! Which one is the winner......?
Nice project car, my vote is for the FJ5. Good luck with the resto.

Glenn

Nice project car, my vote is for the FJ5. Good luck with the resto.

Glenn

Thanks! I think I will need the luck to get this one tackled!!

The list of parts keeps growing. Sorry to list all of these but I am using this as my notepad of pieces and parts to get ordered. Plus that way if anyone has suggestions on brand (to buy or to stay away from) or places to order please chime in!!

Heater core
Dash pad - ordered 10/22/2009 from PGclassics
marker lights - ordered 10/22/2009 from PGclassics
dash frame paint - ordered 10/20/2009 from Mike Mancini
glove box insert
windshield trim clips - ordered 10/26/2009 from Mr G's
back glass trim clips - ordered 10/26/2009 from Mr G's
VIN tag stencil
trunk hinges - bought 10/24/2009 from Abodiesonly member in OK
roof rail weatherstrip (dr and pass) - ordered 10/24/2009 from Nicks Classic Parts
door glass weatherstrip (outside and inside) - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
door opening weatherstrip (dr and pass) - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
1/4 glass weatherstrip (dr and pass) - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
front windshield rubber with locking strip - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
rear glass weatherstrip with locking strip - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
trunk weatherstrip - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
hood to cowl seal - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
hood to radiator core seal - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
body bumper kit - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts
tail light gasket kit - bought on ebay 10/26/2009 from DMT
paint gasket kit - bought on ebay 10/26/2009 from DMT
firewall gasket kit NON A/C - bought on ebay 10/26/2009 from DMT
radio
under dash insulation kit - ordered 10/24/2009 Nicks Classic Parts

A current pic with the dash removed..... pics seem to be getting more fuzzy. Guess that way the car does not look as bad...lol

DashOut10-20-2009.jpg

DashISout10-20-2009.jpg

Another step forward.....two back. The drivers door I got for the project has a crack near the door hinge mount. With paint on the door it was not visable. However in bare metal, it stood out like a sore thumb. So now I am trying to locate another door.

-
Back