The 72 Demon Follies....

-
Time for an update....

I finally got around to working on the car after having the one small rust area addressed. Recall that this car is originally from southern Texas so it is very clean underneath. But even so, it had the typical small rust area where the driver side rocker meets the quarter panel. So that got fixed and now it was time to get after the front suspension.

As previously shown, I got the SPC adjustable UCA's for it from member Bergman Autocraft. I worked all day Saturday taking out the old standard arms and installing these. They went in without too much fuss. Of course, getting the upper ball joints to let go of the spindles is never fun but the little spreader tool I have gave it all it had and each side let go with a loud POP when they finally let go! So the old arms were removed and the new ones installed. But since the brake lines had to be removed, I had the joy of having to bleed the front brakes. Never a good time but they actually bled fairly easily...knock on wood!

Then on to the alignment to see if my caster problems could now be resolved. And to test my knowledge to see if I could actually align the thing given all this adjustability!

The first thing was to come up with a good way to be able to discern the 20 deg steering angle in each direction to measure the caster. I made a v-shaped adjustable wooden fixture with a hinge that I used to set up my reference points. Since the front and rear tires are different sizes, I couldn't use the string method to determine exact/perfect 0 deg steering angle but I think what I did came pretty close. I used the fixture to mark tape I put on the floor to get 20 deg in each direction for each front wheel. Then I turned the steering wheel and put a 5' level along the front tire. When the level was parallel to my fixture, I knew I had 20 deg. It probably does not make as much sense on here as it did if you were in the garage with me as it's really just some old-school hotrod/backyard mechanic type of work. Sorta "use watcha got available!" Oh, and I use heavy plastic trash bags folded over multiple times as my front wheel turn plates as they really do slide on each other/allow the wheels to turn quite effortlessly.

Keep in mind that before, the best caster readings I could get were about -0.8 deg on one side and -0.5 deg on the other. Yep that's right, NEGATIVE caster! Scary stuff and sometimes at the track the car did feel like the proverbial shopping cart front wheel wobble!! With these new UCA's, you lengthen/shorten both the front and rear "arms" to get the camber you want and vary front vs rear to get the caster you want. Easy right? Well, like most things...kinda. But after a couple tries to gain a feel for the magnitude of the change available, it actually was relatively easy to set up. I set them where I wanted it and then set the toe-in to 1/8" at static height. I then reconfirmed caster/camber and set off on a 10 mile drive (always a pleasure as there always seems to be some idiot you have to ignore who pulls next to you and thinks you're at the track!), and came back to remeasure/confirm. I wanted to let the bushings "settle in" a bit before finalizing everything. I found one side needed a little tweak. Did that and locked it all down. I still have to decide/measure the toe-in through the front end lift travel and set it to the best compromise but I've done that before and know it ain't great no matter what!

So I'll shake it down a bit more this week and hopefully get to the track soon. I have new rear shoes coming for it this week (M/T 28/10.5-15W slicks) as that is what has been on the car and works. The old ones are shot and time for new! And ouch...expensive!! Probably wider than needed for a low 11-sec car but hey, they work and I sure don't want to guess wrong and get a radial or narrower tire that doesn't hook every time!!

So for alignment, and per my measurements, I have it set at Left/Right:
Camber = -0.3 / -0.3 deg
Caster = +3.2 / +3.0 deg

I went a little more on caster just to be certain I had sufficient POSITIVE caster!! Steering effort was not bad at all.

Out with these:
20230522_180325.jpg

And in with the new (the jam nuts and bolts were locked down when I was done):
20230520_103544.jpg

I'll update this when I have some new info. Until then, the Demon follies continue!!

Last edited:
A little update from today's activities. After driving the car to a local show on Friday evening, I got up this morning and put the new slicks on it and dropped the mufflers off it. Loaded it on the trailer and headed to the track. This was a test-n-tune day only but I wanted to shake down the new front suspension parts and alignment, try the new slicks, and knock the winter's rust off me too!!

The weather was perfect - mid to upper 70s and clear so I figured the engine would make good power. I also wanted to play with shift speeds to find the lowest I could go and still make a best number.

Let's start at the line...the track was either prepped better than ever or those new slicks were really biting! Here's an example - hanging the hoops on a little dry hop after the burnout!
IMG_1735(1).jpg

The new shoes:
20230524_202528.jpg

Some more shots of the SPC UCA's:
20230526_170130.jpg

20230526_170235.jpg

But the best part was that on every pass made, the car went dead straight! No wandering and certainly none of the violent fishtailing and wanting to swap end for end like previously! Just plain old dead straight like a car with a spool should do!! So mission accomplished getting some positive caster and making a car that is stable. This will hopefully allow me to work on other things!

The car ran within 0.011 of its personal best on the next to last run. It went 11.157 and was within 0.01 mph of its personal best: 118.24 mph. Here's the timeslip since we all know it didn't happen without pics. I was in the left lane (hard to see but timeslips don't print all that great). I was really happy with this as the DA was close to 1700 at about 77 deg (the previous 11.14 best was run in 57-59 deg weather). I shifted it right about 6250 rpm for both gear changes.
20230527_225452.jpg

I thought I would make one more pass and believed it just might set a new best. But on the last pass, the shiftlight did not go off so I was shifting more by instinct than anything. On the digital replay later, I actually shifted it WAY too high (7000+ rpm!!) and the car slowed to an 11.20.

And like always, we met some new people and made friends! All in all, it was a great day at the track. We proved that physics do work - dialing in positive caster makes a world of difference!! And new slicks make you have to hang on more at the hit!!

Until next time...that was today's follies!

A little update from today's activities. After driving the car to a local show on Friday evening, I got up this morning and put the new slicks on it and dropped the mufflers off it. Loaded it on the trailer and headed to the track. This was a test-n-tune day only but I wanted to shake down the new front suspension parts and alignment, try the new slicks, and knock the winter's rust off me too!!

The weather was perfect - mid to upper 70s and clear so I figured the engine would make good power. I also wanted to play with shift speeds to find the lowest I could go and still make a best number.

Let's start at the line...the track was either prepped better than ever or those new slicks were really biting! Here's an example - hanging the hoops on a little dry hop after the burnout!
View attachment 1716095244

The new shoes:
View attachment 1716095246

Some more shots of the SPC UCA's:
View attachment 1716095247

View attachment 1716095250

But the best part was that on every pass made, the car went dead straight! No wandering and certainly none of the violent fishtailing and wanting to swap end for end like previously! Just plain old dead straight like a car with a spool should do!! So mission accomplished getting some positive caster and making a car that is stable. This will hopefully allow me to work on other things!

The car ran within 0.011 of its personal best on the next to last run. It went 11.157 and was within 0.01 mph of its personal best: 118.24 mph. Here's the timeslip since we all know it didn't happen without pics. I was in the left lane (hard to see but timeslips don't print all that great). I was really happy with this as the DA was close to 1700 at about 77 deg (the previous 11.14 best was run in 57-59 deg weather). I shifted it right about 6250 rpm for both gear changes.
View attachment 1716095245

I thought I would make one more pass and believed it just might set a new best. But on the last pass, the shiftlight did not go off so I was shifting more by instinct than anything. On the digital replay later, I actually shifted it WAY too high (7000+ rpm!!) and the car slowed to an 11.20.

And like always, we met some new people and made friends! All in all, it was a great day at the track. We proved that physics do work - dialing in positive caster makes a world of difference!! And new slicks make you have to hang on more at the hit!!

Until next time...that was today's follies!

great job pecking away at it. Car looks great!

Thx Don. Kind of a "junior" version of your car: drove it to a local show Friday evening, drove it home, then took it to the track the next day and had at it.

Just not as fast as yours! My engine is power limited by the mild Eddie RPM heads. If things go well, there may be an 11.0x in this street car yet!

Thx Don. Kind of a "junior" version of your car: drove it to a local show Friday evening, drove it home, then took it to the track the next day and had at it.

Just not as fast as yours! My engine is power limited by the mild Eddie RPM heads. If things go well, there may be an 11.0x in this street car yet!

I don’t remember your exact combo, wish you would post it sometime be fun to spitball with it.

Well....time to update my old thread. Lots has happened since my last update in May of 2023. Car stuff, life stuff, and moving south! So let's start with June 2023. This will be less about the cars but hopefully explain what's been happening. Some have asked for an update so here goes. Mostly boring stuff but ....

After the successful installation and front end work on the avatar to get it to go straight, I was excited to be able to just focus on "the race" and tweaking settings/jets/etc to make the car faster and/or more consistent. With only 2 time runs each time out to the track, you can't really make a whole lot of changes/progress while there - I mostly just "run what I brung" for that given outing.

Racing:
6/4: Before we went back to the track on 6/4, I upped the front jets one number. The day was a nice clear day of about 75 degrees (1800 DA). But we had about a 10 mph headwind so I knew the car would be a tad slower. But every car had to face the same headwind so let's have at it! Sure enough, the mph was down about 1.5 to 2 and the et's were off about 0.075. Racing we did! Had to face last year's reigning track champ in the 3rd round and won. But then took a nap at the tree in rd 4 and that was that for the day. Quarter finals so not all that bad.

6/18: We went back to the track 2 weeks later with no changes. The weather was roughly 80 degress but the DA was quite a bit worse than before running right around 2400-2500. After the first pass at that DA, the engine felt sluggish in 3rd gear so I leaned the front jets out 2 numbers. The car picked up just a tad in the mph so it apparenty liked the change. Went to the 4th rd again - this time including beating the current season points leader. But somehow popped a -0.009 red-eye in the 4th rd and that was it for the day. Down to the last 6 cars....

7/9: The next outing was on 7/9 with no changes done to the car. Upper 70's but the DA was way up at around 2600+ all day. We also faced a headwind around 12 mph all day. The car slowed down as expected due to these weather conditions - off by about a tenth from the early June runs. This time I again went to the 4th round. I swear I was ahead at the stripe (scrubbed 5 mph off) but the other guy got the win light. Dang...down to the last 7 cars again! Oh well, it was fun.

Little did we know this would be our last race outing of the 2023 year. Went 4 rounds each time out but couldn't get past it.

Life got a bit in the way but some was self-inflicted. I was fortunate to retire on June 30. Hooray!! We had extended family out of town health issues to tend to and then the big Woodward Dream Cruise came up in August. We took our 71 Demon 340 to a Friday event as well as Saturday for the Woodward cruise. But each evening, we took this 72 Demon out to cruise the streets and see the sights. After all, one never knows when you might need that sudden burst of acceleration. Haha....just kidding! But it IS just such a fun little beast to drive around. It SOUNDS much faster than it is so those of you with 10 second cars...watch out! lol...

And then September arrived. We had been having a new home built in Florida for well over 2 years at this point. Come Labor Day weekend, we flew down to "supervise" the pouring of the concrete for the drive, etc. With roughly 6150 ft2 of concrete, I wanted to be sure it got placed where I wanted it. Good thing we were there as the forms were not quite right upon arrival so we got them addressed just after 6:00am the day of the pour! Then the house was FINALLY done at the end of September so we loaded up the enclosed trailer with the 69 Charger and as much other stuff as could fit and off we went down I-75. Oh the joys of a 1500 gas-engine truck pulling a 24' enclosed trailer at close to 10,000#'s. Like stopping for fuel about every 2 to 2-1/2 hours. But it towed just fine and we got to really liking every Buc-cees we could find for those of you familiar with them! And we learned to sleep in the truck at either a Love's truck stop or a Georgia rest area. What fun!

We arrived and closed on the house. We stayed about 10 days then headed back up I-75 for home (Detroit area) and left the enclosed trailer behind. We stayed in Michigan for roughly 5 days. I built a front "shield" out of some scrap lumber and rubber bed mat for the front of my open trailer. And finally got the stripes added to the avatar Demon - what a difference!! We loaded up the avatar Demon on the open trailer and headed south again. Another night at a Love's truck stop and 1200 miles later and were arrived in Florida again. This time we stayed about a week and then pulled the big enclosed trailer back up north. Had the joy of a nail in one of the tires to boot!

Our last stay in our Michigan home was for about a week as we worked to clean out the house (we were blessed it had sold) and get packed up for our "final" trip moving to Florida. We cleaned out our house and loaded up the 71 Demon 340 in the encloed trailer for the trip. Off we went and, after another night in the truck and 1200 miles, we arrived "home" in Florida on Nov 3. Just in time to escape the Detroit winter that had already started (it had snowed while the movers were loading up our belongings). Movers delivered everything the next day on 11/4 so on Sunday, 11/5, we did what any sane person who just moved would do: we went to the Garlits show in Ocala (a bit under 30 miles away)!! Great time as we met a husband/wife with a petty blue 72 Demon 340 that the wife had owned since new. They hooked us into a local Mopar club and the rest is history. We've met MANY people and one great benefit is these folks have WAY more cars than I do! So my wife now says that our 3 cars really isn't such a big stable after all!! There's a guy with 9 classics, another guy with 11, etc, etc. Amazing! And a whole bunch of racers - 9 sec cars seem to be the norm amongst these guys. My little Demon is a slow turd next to their cars.

Okay - enough of my digression....but I wanted to share how life things happen and sidetrack at least me from my toys.

After driving the 72 around quite a bit on the streets down here - to shows, cruises, whatever - we went to Gainesville Raceway this past Saturday on 1/27. As always, you meet lots of new great folks when you go to a new track where you're not known. People were friendly and helpful showing me around the amenities there. My first impressions are for a track that is owned by the NHRA, I would have thought they would have made the place more of a showcase kind of track. The PA system was marginal at best, the restrooms were sub-par, the pits were paved asphalt (in Florida this must be nice in a couple months?), and they only bracket race 1x/month! 1x/month and you're the organization promoting the sport? Seems odd and was certainly disappointing. "Oh, well, we do it 1x/month but we race on both Saturday and Sunday that 1 weekend as many folks like to spend the night anyway and race the next day since they're already here." Okay...I guess...but???? The wind was quite strange as it was a headwind early in the day followed by a cross breeze that then turned into a tailwind and then back to a cross-breeze. All at between 14-18 mph! The temp was upper 70's with a DA of 2000-ish, very similar to our Detroit weather the prior year. The car ran it's best "1st run off the trailer" carding an 11.16 so I was excited to see what it would do. That was the only time run given so I took a guess and won the first round with a new personal best of 11.10 (timeslip attached). Took a nap at the tree in rd 2 and got sent home. But racing in January? Pinch me!!

So that's the last 7 months and why the avatar really has not had much track time. Got moved and been putting a ton of time in setting up our house and my new shop. It's a detached garage that's 50' wide x 34' deep with 14' ceilings. You would think that is plenty but I can tell you this packrat can find and hang onto more junk than anyone can ever need. So a lot of time has been spent finding places for things and pitching things! More work to do with bulding shelving, etc, but for now, I'm just happy to be here. The car will hopefully get out more living here in Florida but we'll see. It should certainly get even more street use given all the venues that go on on a weekly basis. Stay tuned....

Us on one of our many trips traversing I-75 betwen Detroit and the Ocala, FL area:
1706587193544.png

One of many times out on the streets at a cruise:
1706587278710.png

In the Gainesville staging lanes:
1706587311521.png

Personal best for the car - RH lane #6020:
1706587359405.png

The new shop - 2 10'x10' doors and 1 18'x12' door:
1706587958634.png

Oh what the heck - just for good measure, here's the 71 Demon 340 after a day at a show. I call it my "sheep in wolf's clothing" car as it is all stock/original and certainly not fast!!:
1706587613828.png

Great story and read! I was wondering when you were going to share the details of your move. Sounds like you are set up to live comfortably and enjoy your new home. look forward to hearing more.

Bill

Thx Bill - hopefully the follies will continue and I can make it past the 4th round!! Lol

I enjoy your reads tremendously too. Keep'm coming. That's one bad Duster you have for sure!

Thx Bill - hopefully the follies will continue and I can make it past the 4th round!! Lol

I enjoy your reads tremendously too. Keep'm coming. That's one bad Duster you have for sure!

Are you anywhere near that new track that is going to open in Florida

Are you anywhere near that new track that is going to open in Florida
No I'm not. The North Florida Motorplex is about 240 miles away and the just announced Callahan track (north of Jacksonville) is about 130 miles.

I'm sw of Ocala about 30 miles. 65 miles to Gainesville, Raceway, 105 miles to Orlando Speedworld, and 134 miles to Bradenton Motorsports Park. Not ideal but Gainesville is a very easy drive.

Last edited:
No I'm not. The North Florida Motorplex is about 240 miles away and the just announced Callahan track (north of Jacksonville) is about 130 miles.

I'm sw of Ocala about 30 miles. 65 miles to Gainesville, Raceway, 105 miles to Orlando Speedworld, and 134 miles to Bradenton Motorsports Park. Not ideal but Gainesville is a very easy drive.
I started my drag racing 'career' at Gainesville back in the late 70s while stationed at NAS Jacksonville with the Navy. Also raced at the old 1/8th mile track at Jax Raceway just north of Jacksonville on Pecan Park Road. Long gone now.

-
Back