The 8 1/4 thread

-
Al, I've looked at yours pretty good and I THINK it's the 2.45 carrier. Without having the other one next to it, it's hard to tell.

DionR sounds right - no one has presented any firm evidence that there are two different housings, and several people have posted things that make me think there is only one housing (though there are two carriers). It would be great if Halifaxhops could respond to DionR's post #353.

I'm not sure whether there are one or two housings, but unless someone can show the two housings side by side, or at least from the same angle, give some measurements, part numbers, or point to a Chrysler document that mentions two housings, I'm going to have to assume that there is only one. I've heard this two-housing theory on other pages, but there's a LOT of contradictory information out there on 8 1/4s.

This really needs to be settled if we can. I appreciate Halifaxhops and everyone posting about this, but if the original post is incorrect, the thread should probably be deleted. Most people aren't going to read 300+ posts to figure out what is correct, they'll just go with what's in post #1.
I am also of the opinion that there is only one housing from what I have seen and researched. @halifaxhops you seem to be the only person who has seen two housings, do you have more pics or info? Because the beginning of this thread had me really confused.

Thats what i believe as well from my research and from what ive seen in person. For this to be an "informational" thread i think there is a lot of misinformation presented by its authors.

"Two differential carriers were used in most of these axles. With the exception of the fuel-miser 2.24:1 ratio that we mentioned was used in 1980-'81, any other ratios smaller than 2.71:1 used one carrier and anything above 2.71:1 used a larger carrier."

Hi guys,

i'm in the middle of a proces, trying to get my 7.25 diff working again, but i realize it will be temporary. What i really need is i nice and simple 8.25 rear axle with 2,71 gears. I have a Dart from 1964 with a 318 in it and use it just for cruising, so low rpm's is the goal...

Does anyone have something usefull lying around?

I am in the Netherlands but i have a few addresses in the US (Rock Valley, Iowa and Barnesville, Minnesota) to ship to.

I have an 8.25" in a 1977 Volare wagon with a suregrip, and I am wanting to switch gears. Someone local to me is selling a complete 2008 dakota 8.25 axle with 3.55 gears. Wondering if the 3.55 ring and pinion will work on the older carrier. I believe my current gears are 2.94 ratio.

Any help is appreciated!

-
Back