The Bastard 1/2 65 & 1/2 66

-

harleydodge1

Reaction score
I go to look at a car the guy says is a 65 Barracuda that has a 318,727,Vintage air, custom gauges nice interior that runs and drives great. I try to get a couple other friends to buy the car because I have other projects in the works but they won't. We work out a deal and we put the taillights in and I drive it home. When they see the car they both want it so I sell it my friend Padro. Now I know next to nothing about these year cars. Padro calls me and says that the car has a 65 frontend with a 65 rear and a 65 VIN and wants to know if I want it back. I say hell ya. I like the car and think that it will make a nice everyday driver with the air and it dosen't bother me about the years.
So I got it all sanded and ready for some primer today. I found a couple places of rust that I will replace. I hope to have it in primer this weekend.
The car came form Florida to Alabama a couple years ago. Does anyone konw anything about this car? Just a longshot but you never know. Just wondering about the different year parts.
I found a bill of sale to a person in Florida for $6,500 and the tickets for over $9,200 for work on the car. A lot of new parts were put on the car and it drives like it.
I will post a few pics as I go.

P.S If anyone likes the car I may sell it. $2,600 before i work on it. I have all the parts and trim. The rust on the car is mostly surface rust and has now been sanded and ready for primer.

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

Hey Padro what you doing up so late? Ya I screwed that up didn't I?
It should have read a 65 frontend and 66 rear with a 65 VIN.

Nope thats a 66 with a 65 front on it. Send the VIN and fender tag I'll decode it for you.

If it was a 65 someone would have to put on new quarters new trunk extensions...... bascially you would rebuild all of the rear sheet metal and it has a 66 dash in it.... neat car though where is it? I need a donor for a 65 Signet.

Nope thats a 66 with a 65 front on it. Send the VIN and fender tag I'll decode it for you.
You're correct about the 66 dash and rear sheet metal, which makes me wonder why it would have a 65 VIN. Even if someone replaced the entire front clip, the VIN is attached to the door frame so it ought to have stayed original. The fender tag might be from either one, depending on whether the inner fenders were replaced-- I don't even know if it's possible to hang 65 fenders on 66 inner supports. I do know that the entire hood leading edge shape is different.

What a unique car! I've always loved the 66 dash, but never liked the 66 front end sheet metal.

Hmm, you'd have to do something about a turn signal indicator, though. There is no space reserved in the dash for it, since indicators were always on the fenders for 66.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

Send me the VIN and fender tag info and i will decode it for you, your build date might have something to do will all this stuff too...... this could be one of those odd balls.

Yup sheet metal is all the same, in fact the cars from 4-6 both Valiant, Barracuda and Dart are almost all interchange able.

I have a 65 Valiant signet, with a 64-5 grille with a 66 Dash..... mix and match make your own......

Sure thing no doubt so the fender tag is a 65 as well? Date code on the rear frame rails are 66 or 65? Would be a neat car to own if Plymouth made a mistake!

no it's got a 66 fender tag, I dont have the numbers in front of me but we've both looked em up

Yup....'66 dashes ARE cool.....when I saw the title to this thread, I was hoping the rear end would be '66 and the front '65. That's all I'm gonna say.

-
Back