The breeder just messaged me....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
We got our 2 Redbone Coonhounds from a breeder in Montana. Tims dogs have a very good blood line. Champion Show dogs...as well as Champion hunters. The girls we have gotten from him are healthy, beautiful dogs. We also have a Blue Nose Pitbull. Daisy, while being very rowdy, is pretty well behaved. She bonded with my wife, Ernestina. Whenever Ernie leaves Daisy has some pretty severe separation anxiety issues. Enough that if we both leave she gets locked up in a crate. Tim, the breeder, and I have been about the possibility of us getting another pup from him. We want another female. We talked to our Vet about this as well. She thinks getting another female, even though they are all fixed, would be a mistake. Kris told us that we really should consider getting a male. Kris said that when a family has a pack of same sex pups often times there are some temperament issues. She has a tone of clients that have multiple dogs. She told us that she very rarely hears of any troubles when the family has male and female dogs but when they are all females, or males, she often hears/sees lots of behavior issues. We recently put a fourth dog to sleep. Shelby was a female, a mix of an American Bull Dog and Pit bull. From day one Shelby walked with her head and tail down. Shelby would often attack Daisy. Daisy, even though she is a Pitbull, is not a fighter. Shelby ripped Daisy up....when Shelby was attacking Daisy the final time even firing several shots out of my 12 Gauge would not stop her, normally a gun shot would send her into the house.
Anyway, we spent some time talking to our Vet about Shelby. Kris told us that one of the signs that a dog may have some aggression issues is if they always walk with there head and tail in a lowered position. Ernie and I, as well as the Vet, all think Shelby was just an aggressive dog.
Back to Tim. We really want to get another Hound. A local woman breeds Bluetick Coohounds. She breeds her female once a years. Have not heard from her, she told me that her female has pups, normally, right after Christmas. She told us that we will have "pick of the litter". Tims message said he only has males available. We are not sure of which way we are going to go. If the only thing you have to say is "shame on you for not going to a shelter" please just move along. The wife and I both like what we like. Last few trips we have made thru the local shelter we were greeted by dogs with obvious issues, lot of snarling growling at us. With our health issues neither one of us in a position to deal with that type of problem....
Ever since getting Fred, a very unique Black & Tan Coonhound, I have been fascinated by the hounds....

Comfort comes in many forms but don't live in a zoo and definitely don't get another female with already having one with dependant possessive traits. Only advice I have to your situation which is unique and personal.

I never had a hound I have always had labs and love them but I think I want a hound dog now just an old lazy hound. Congratulations on your new dog.

I suggest getting one of the male pups and see how it goes. It is likely that it will work out fine.

I think the recommendation to get a male is a sound one, and that you should follow that suggestion. Is there a trial period you could have to see if your new friend will assimilate with your already trained dogs? That would surely help to know that a new dog will fit in with your pups. From the pics I've seen tho, I think a much bigger bed is going to be in order!! :)

-
Back