The culprit... erratic timing

-

bschubarg

Reaction score
Can uguess... yep... stretched advance spring... went thru hell with jetting, timing, power valve, float setting and vacuum advance. Went to change springs with stiffer when HA! That spring had no tension whatsoever... think I’ll take back everything I said about crappy mopar ignition... always blame the mechanic first(me)

B7127677-A83A-4EF6-8FCC-BF4760DECDE6.jpeg

Mr Murphy is always lurking. this chart may help (tho the crane kit listed is no longer available). I want the adv to start ~1-200 RPM above my hot in gear idle speed which is what it will be stoplight to stoplight (for a stable idle) & the right spring tension combo so I am just under the pinging point at WOT up thru the gears on my hottest/driest (most likely to ping) summer day & there is silent ping & peoples' hearing threshhold varies so a safety cushion is a good move. Any spring combo (except for the OE heavy spring with the elongated loop on one end which is usually tossed) advances in a linear rate so mix/match to achieve your goal. ANY pinging is extremely damageing & to be avoided. come close to the line but never over it.

398.jpg

Can uguess... yep... stretched advance spring... went thru hell with jetting, timing, power valve, float setting and vacuum advance. Went to change springs with stiffer when HA! That spring had no tension whatsoever... think I’ll take back everything I said about crappy mopar ignition... always blame the mechanic first(me)

View attachment 1715107810

I went through the same thing only I had a fairly new msd dist took the cap off and one spring was rusty and the other was gone completely .
it through me for a loop until I popped the cap off .

I went through the same thing only I had a fairly new msd dist took the cap off and one spring was rusty and the other was gone completely .
it through me for a loop until I popped the cap off .
After replacing the spring everything fell into place. Runs as it should... now onto jetting my secondary 3310 with the conversion plate

-
Back